Two men plan to join a religious cult about hating the sun, as long as it doesn't hurt their relationships.
Joining The Cult contains examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: After being grilled by his friend, Sandler's character admits that he's only joining the cult because there's a cute girl he wants to hook up with. His friend asks if she has any lady friends and Sandler tells him that, if not, she'll go out and recruit one for him.
- Break-Up/Make-Up Scenario: The two friends' talk gets somewhat heated, no pun intended.
- Casting a Shadow: Long live the fucking Beast!
- Dull Surprise: Two friends are having a friendly game of basketball when one offhandedly mentions that he's thinking of joining a religious cult. His friend's response? A dismissive "Now that's ridiculous."
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: If Russell saw the friends with sunburns, they will be banned from the cult.
- Feud Episode: The two friends did not seem to get along when talking about the cult.Friend 1: I can't believe you're pulling this shit on me after Monday night!Friend 2: What?Friend 1: I wanted to watch Monday Night Football and you wanted to watch that other show! And I watched your show, I did that for you!Friend 2: Yeah? Well, you kept flipping back to the game.Friend 1: I WANTED TO SEE THE FUCKING SCORE!!
- Important Haircut: The cult has free haircuts, which convinced the first friend telling his friend to join the cult.
- Madness Mantra: A hilarious example. The nighttime is the right time!
- Patricide: The second friend killed his father during the three week span.
- The Power of the Sun: The sun is the most dangerous weapon against the Beast.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The first friend forces the second one to the cult, but the second friend does not want to join.Friend 1: The point is, I'm not going to have time to hang out with you because I'm going to fucking busy with this fucking cult!
- Refuge in Audacity: The very first line is "Hey man, I'm joinin' a religious cult." And it just goes deeper from there.
- Religion of Evil: Russell founded the cult to let people aware that the sun and light will injure the world.
- Sentient Cosmic Force: The Beast.
- Time Skip: The end takes place three weeks after the men talk about joining the cult.
- Weakened by the Light: The Beast can't come out because the sun burns his eyes.