Michael Alan Weiner, better known as Michael Savage, is the conservative nationalist host of The Savage Nation, a nationally-syndicated talk show that airs throughout the United States on Talk Radio Network. The Savage Nation has an audience of 8 to 10 million listeners on 400 stations across the United States, making it the third-most-listened-to talk radio shownote in the country.
He outspokenly opposes illegal immigration to the United States, supports the English-only movement, and argues that liberalism and progressivism are not only degrading American culture, but are in fact symptoms of a greater mental disorder. (One can imagine how well that goes over with his critics, who have characterized him as "fostering extremism/hatred.")
Although his radio delivery is usually characterized as confrontational and politically-themed, some of his show involves ruminating on topics such as medicine, nutrition, music, literature, history, theology, philosophy, sports, culture, and personal anecdotes.
Admittedly he looks a little like the latter, but not to be confused with Macho Man Randy Savage or Vandal Savage. Not to be confused with a similarly named former Liberal MP, and current Mayor of Halifax, in Nova Scotia, Canada or the Great Depression-era Prime Minister of New Zealand. For one, they are both to the left of him (not that this man makes it too difficult to be to the left of him).
Please refrain from doing Take Thats on this article
- Animal Motifs: In his book The Political Zoo. Not flattering motifs, in most cases.
- Berserk Button: "DON'T ASK ME HOW I'M DOING!"
- Brooklyn Rage: He was born and raised in The Bronx and is known for being very hot-tempered and confrontational.
- The Cassandra: Believes he's this.
- Catchphrase: "Borders, language, and culture."
- Content Warnings: Parodied before each hour with this message during the intro."WARNING: The Michael Savage Show contains adult language, adult content, psychological nudity. Listener discretion is advised."
- Darker and Edgier: To Rush Limbaugh.
- Godwin's Law: "Later-term abortionists are nothing more than a reincarnation of Dr. Mengele, the Nazi Angel of Death." Well, Mengele did make a living with back-door abortions...
- Hypocrite: One of his many targets is academia, despite the fact Savage has a PhD from UC Berkeley.
- The Illegal: One of his many enemies.
- It Makes Sense in Context: An argument Savage has had to resort to repeatedly to keep himself from losing sponsors. Especially notable when his remarks about autism were taken out of context to stir up rallies of demonstrators from Media Matters, calling on families with autistic children to demand that Savage be fired. He was trying to accuse pharmaceutical companies of over diagnosing autism. Detractors argue that his remarks, sounded like a Flat-Earth Atheist denial of autism existing, accusing doctors of willfully abusing their power, and parents of negligence. Sadly, he could be correct in this case.
- The Nicknamer: Certain Democrats are named "the Demoncats."
- He tends to use the term "shills" as well.
- GOP politicians he feels are not conservative enough get to be called "Repubicans."
- He also has specific nicknames for other hosts, he calls Hannity "Wallbanger" or "Sean Vanity"note , Limbaugh "The Golfer", O'Reilly "The Leprechaun", Beck "The Hemorrhoid", and Olbermann a "Urinating Psychopath".
- No Indoor Voice
- Product Placement: Played with and averted; his son Russell founded Rockstar energy drinks and some of the company's funds go into royalties for their family, but although we're sure he enjoys them, it's not sure if he's advertised it on his radio show.
- The Quisling: His view of liberals, as he illustrates in his book The Enemy Within.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Some of his biggest criticisms are, in fact, leveled towards GOP and Fox News personalities Savage feels have sold out conservative values, including Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck.