Salty seadog Slate Shannon (Bogart) owns a Cuban hotel sheltering an assortment of treasure hunters, revolutionaries and other shady characters. With his sidekick and ward, the sultry Sailor Duval (Bacall), tagging along, he encounters modern-day pirates and other tough situations while navigating the waters around Havana. Aboard his boat, the Bold Venture, Slate and Sailor experience "adventure, intrigue, mystery and romance in the sultry settings of tropical Havana and the mysterious islands of the Caribbean."
Calypso singer King Moses (Jester Hairston) provided musical bridges by threading plot situations into the lyrics of his songs.
Bold Venture was made into a television in series 1959 with 39 episodes directed by William Conrad. The series starred Dane Clark as Slate Shannon, Joan Marshall as Sailor Duval and Bernie Gozier as King Moses. However, because of unstable conditions in Cuba, the setting was changed to Trinidad.
- Animal Assassin: A gamecock is used to murder someone in "Death By A Fighting Bird"
- Beastly Bloodsports: "Death By A Fighting Bird"
- Ruthless Modern Pirates
- Sound to Screen Adaptation
- Vehicle Title: Bold Venture was the name of Shannon's boat.
- Welcome to the Caribbean, Mon!