- There are some Heterosexual Life-Partners jokes that just don't work when your Straight Man is a cat.
- As a joke, Jim Davis once submitted a strip where Garfield gets high on catnip and wakes up in Atlantic City with a Barbie doll. And his editor accepted it. (June 12, 1980)
- "In the catnip again, Garfield?◊" (Feburary 6, 1982)
- The phone rings, and Garfield answers it. It's Liz. Garfield turns the receiver toward Odie, who loudly pants into it. Garfield then hangs up and walks away, saying, "The shot will be worth it just to see him try and explain that.◊" (August 6th, 1995)
- The time Jon made a sandwich out of his penis. He wore his sandwich and put his swim trunks in the picnic basket. (August 29, 1995)
- There was this strip in 1980; most newspapers changed the punch line to "dirt jokes". (But they kept the tobacco.)
- One of the pre-"nice Liz" strips had Jon asking a woman for a date over the phone. She tells him she'd "rather go out with camel spittle." Garfield urges Jon to retaliate with an insult of his own...and Jon comes up with "But what if your brother already has plans?!" - but hours later, when the two are going to bed. So not only is the brother "spittle", but Jon is insinuating that the woman would seduce her own brother.
- "Doug, a pig just bit me." "A pig? Where did he bite you, Earl?" "Right in the mudhole, Doug."◊
- Garfield somehow got away with saying "Sex" in an early strip◊.
- Before Liz and Jon started dating, Jon once asked her what she would suggest for an animal that's madly in love. She quipped, "I usually prescribe neutering." Even worse, in the 20th anniversary book, the strip is followed by a picture of Garfield eagerly holding up a pair of scissors.
- Look at the middle panel.◊ Garfield is choking a (rubber) chicken. Noisily. Even if you haven't heard of that euphemism, the way he's doing it is plenty suggestive. And Jon says he's going to "wring [his] rubber chicken's neck" in the next panel.
- Some of the strips collected in "Garfield from the Trash Bin" weren't finished or released due to pushing the boundaries of good taste. Most notably, one involves a man with a squirrel living in his pants who "appears to be storing..."
- Another "Garfield from the Trash Bin" strip had Liz claim that one of her friends told her to buy a leopard pattern thong for herself to surprise Jon with. Gosh, I certainly wonder why that wasn't considered kosher.
- "Wow... Van Gogh cut off his ear for the woman he loved! ... I wonder what ''I'' could cut off?"
- It becomes glaringly obvious in the "Garfield Minus Garfield" version◊.
- Jon remembers his board but forgets his trunks.
- Sitting in a paper bag makes Garfield feel like a dirty magazine◊.
- An adultery joke from Garfield.
- "Where are you going, Garfield?" "To suck punch out of my bear."
Radar / Garfield