Thornwick and Bob are incompetent cowards. So when they go off The Road without the the army, they find themselves going through all sorts of hilarious situations on the way back to The Road.
This show provides examples of:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The protagonists are aware that they are in a weekly podcast with multiple seasons.
- Genre Savvy: Thornwhick and Bob often remark they expect situations going certain ways according to adventure genre stereotypes. They expect a MacGuffin Melee, and later make sure nobody Accidentally Broke the MacGuffin.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Almost every episode is named for where it takes place. Examples include:
- The Forest of Madness and Terror
- The Valley of Unwitting Ends
- The Desert of Terror Birds Who Swoop Down On You And Devour You Terribly. In the Desert
- The Sunspire Citadel (of Doom)
- Castle Stabyoureyes
- The Jungle of Person Murder
- The Room of So Many Axes.
- Man-Eating Plant: Examples include the trees that eat flesh, and the digestabush. Also elves exist to lure people to be devoured by their tree.
- Title Theme Tune: Every episode in Season 3 begins with the theme song. Since the show is Exactly What It Says on the Tin it doubles as an Expository Theme Tune.
Episodes of this series provide examples of:
- Fakin' MacGuffin: The protagonists switch the Nurian Box of Secrets with a cardboard box filled with snakes.
- God of Chaos: The adventurers meet Yiovardin, their world's God of Chaos, Destruction, and Low Grade Headaches. He is established as a Chaotic Stupid entity.
- Interactive Narrator: Thornwick suffers a deadly disease that causes him to hear someone narrating his life, and the duo go on a quest to cure him.
- Kick the Dog: Lord Egregious buys "boots of puppy kicking".
- Stupid Evil: Lord Egregious kills some of his own men to show that human life means nothing to him.