WTF with Marc Maron is a podcast hosted by stand-up comedian Marc Maron that premiered in 2009. An edited and censored version of the podcast began airing on radio in 2012.
In each episode, Marc sits down with a guest to speak at length about the guest's personal and professional lives.
The podcast is critically acclaimed for Maron's skills as an interviewer and his ability to get guests to open up and speak candidly about some very intimate subjects.
See also Maron, which depicts a fictional version of Marc Maron working on his podcast.
This podcast provides examples of the following:
- All Jews Are Ashkenazi: Marc occasionally mentions that his genealogy is Ashkenazi Jew for as long back as his family can trace.
- One Steve Limit: Marc once agreed to an interview believing he would be speaking to Kevin McDonald from The Kids in the Hall only to find out that he'd agreed to meet Kevin MacDonald (the director of The Last King of Scotland). Marc later interviewed McDonald and packaged the two interviews together into a single episode.
- Rage Quit: Gallagher angrily stormed out of his interview, claiming that Marc was being intentionally contrarian.
- Very Special Episode: Two episodes are cited as being particularly notable and bringing international attention to the podcast.
- Marc's 2010 interview with Robin Williams caused waves as Williams took the opportunity to go into detail about his struggles with sobriety and mental health as well as suicidal thoughts.
- Marc's 2015 interview with Barack Obama made history as it was the first time a US president ever appeared on a podcastnote . Alongside the historic first and their in-depth conversation, President Obama made headlines with his frank use of the n-word when speaking of race in America. This episode is so important, Marc keeps it and its companion analysis free for anyone to listen.