James: So Mason, what do you think the story was?
Mason: Oh nooooooooo...
The Weekly Planet is a weekly podcast that's part of the Planet Broadcasting Network * . Each week, James "Mr. Sunday" Clement and "Internet Celebrity" Nick Mason sit down in James's
This podcast provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Though the podcast is primarily just James and Nick, James has missed a small handful of episodes, with Mason bringing in a guest host.
- Affectionate Nickname: James calls his wife Greg.
- He also calls Mason "Maso" and "Chip Danger Cock".
- Book Dumb: Joked with. Whenever books are brought up, either James or Mason will say "Books are for nerds."
- British Accents: Parodied whenever they talk about Tom Holland. Mason always gives him a stereotypical cockney accent.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both of the lads are fond of getting their snark on.
- Establishing Series Moment: The first lines of Episode 1 set the tone for the whole show.James: Fuckin' Hell.
- Failed Future Forecast: Discussed in the episode Dumbest Movie Futures (That Are Wrong).
- Happily Married: James and his wife, Claire.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: James and Mason have their moments.
- Hype Backlash: Discussed in ''"Most Disappointing Movies Of All Time."''
- Locked in a Freezer: Parodied in the second clip show, with the framing device of James and Mason reminiscing while stuck in an air vent. Somehow.
- Non-Indicative Name: The segment "H8 Mail but the H8 has an Eight in it" never contains eight pieces of hate.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Mason hated Justice League (2017) so much that he subverted the Running Gag of James asking Mason the plot of the movie, that he asked James about the plot just so that he could complain about it.
- Refuge in Audacity: Discussing a real-world example: The Great Howard the Duck Switcharoo.
- Running Gag: Many.
- "Mason, what do you think the story was?"
- The "recurring" "segment" Ring a Ding Ding! Let's Predict a Thing.
- Mason yelling McG's name any time the latter is mentioned.
- Mason's "If you like it, it's fine but you're wrong but it's cool, like what you like, but you're wrong.
- James repeatedly bringing up his vendettas or Berserk Buttons on the podcast.
- "Fuck art!"
- Mason having to play the letters theme off of his phone every time they have a letters segment.
- Specifically, he plays it off of YouTube instead of downloading it.
- The podcast dog and her moxie/spirit.
- James mentioning being a father and hating other dads.
- #MulletforSuperman. A joking demand for the Superman of the DCEU to be resurrected with a mullet, like in the comics.
- In regards to questionable leaks of news, "Hot Scoop or Shot of Poop?" If it turns out to be false, James has to do a shot of poop. Regardless of whether he felt the story was true or not.
- "Books are for nerds."
- "And that's the tooth."
- Sad Clown: During their second Q and A video, both James and Nick mention they've had experience with depression.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Any time Russel Crowe is mentioned, you can bet the guys will sarcastically call him the greatest actor in the world in response to his self-proclaimed status.
- Mason jokingly prefers to be referred to as "Internet Celebrity Nick Mason."
- Stillborn Franchise: An entire episode called Failed Movie Franchises discusses these. Also the end of every year during their Best & Worst "awards", James and Mason have a category called The Game is On, where they decide which movie of the year had the most hamfisted attempt at failed sequel/franchise building.
- Team Pet: Ollie, the Podcast Dog * .
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: A regular feature on the podcast is Superhero Showdown, where the boys play out a scenario where two (or more) characters meet in a standard-sized American football field and fight each other.
- Vulgar Humor: Parodied with Deadpool. Whenever the character is mentioned, James talks about his less-favorable opinion of jokes that are just crass for the sake of being crass. Or as he calls them, jokes that just go "Look at my balls/dick!" for two hours.
- Wild Mass Guessing: Discussed in Crazy Fan Theories.
- A joking fan theory regarding the podcast is that James doesn't actually exist. Instead, Mason just records every podcast twice: once in his normal voice and once more in James' voice.
- Wrong Parachute Gag: Mason's justification for refusing to skydive is because he's certain either the parachute will fail, or it will be filled with wacky items instead.
"That's the show for this week. Grab dat gem, you guys!"