"This is a trope that's going to come back to haunt all of us, I guarantee you." — J. Michael Tatum, right before Terri Doty made a shoutout to this entry.
A podcast that was hosted by Terri Doty and J. Michael Tatum with voice actors and sound engineers from Funimation as guests each episode. Most of the show was spent on random discussions with the voice actor/actress along with answers to fan-submitted questions. The show's charm came in the rampant humor and statements made by the voice actors and the hosts. Fans joined a live chat at the same time the hosts record, which is where they got the fan questions from, and the episodes were posted in streaming format under a day later.
On November 29th, 2013, Terri announced on her blog and on Twitter that That Anime Show will have its last episode on January 18th, 2014. On October 2016, Terri and Tatum started a Patreon account to try to get the podcast going again, this time with the hopes of earning some cash from it from fans. Sadly, the campaign couldn't get near the amount of funds it needed.
You can listen to it here. As a warning, language is used quite often since they abandoned the 'live show' structure long ago and thus can say whatever they want.
Tropes that apply:
- Bottle Episode: Episode 39.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Several episodes after the show was not done live (it used to be censored) contain quite a few, especially Brina Palencia's episode. In episode 29, Terri is challenged to not swear for the duration of the episode and succeeds.
- Compelling Voice: Jamie Marchi has this according to episode 14.
- Crossover: With the Unofficial One Piece Podcast in episode 25.
- Deadpan Snarker: Terri, though generally everybody gets a moment or two. But mostly Terri.
- Earworm: Discussed in Episode 26. Even Tatum (who has claimed not to be a good singer) gets in on it! Almost appropriately enough, the next question was favorite anime openings and endings.
- Frame Story: The second Halloween Episode is framed by a scene of Terri and Tatum running through the woods where they get captured by a Vincent Price-esque character named Victor Kostly (voiced by Ian Sinclair), who proceeds to take up hosting duties and share various scary tales to the listener. It ends with Terri and Tatum tied up and having no idea where they are.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: Minutes into episode 9, after a certain someone laughs at the thought of Aaron Dismuke "getting his way with" Terri. Lampshaded after the story.Terri: Fuck you, John Michael Tatum. note
- Genki Girl: Terri, Tia Ballard, Monica Rial.
- Gratuitous Spanish: In Episode 10, Brina Palencia breaks into it quite spontaneously when recalling the reactions she'd get in Honduras when she was introduced because of how well-known her mother was.
- Gushing About Shows You Like: Naturally. Especially when preview dub episodes of something they're working on come out.
- Halloween Episode
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Unofficial One Piece Podcast gets the tables turned on them in episode 25, being asked their usual 10 Inside The Actor's Studio questions.
- Live Episode: For Anime Overload (Caitlin Glass and Carli Mosier) and Yulecon (Greg and Chris Ayres).
- The early episodes of the show were live and apparently had call-in segments.
- Mood Whiplash: The beginning of episode 14.Terri: (romantic sounding voice) And our special guest today is the lovely, talented, beautiful, red-haired...(whispers quietly) Jamie Marchi.Jamie: WOOOOOOO!
- The Nicknamer: J Michael gives each guest a nickname, and, if he can't think up one at the beginning, vows to come up with one by the end of any said episode.
- Parallel Porn Titles: Bryan Massey makes some up in both episodes 11 and 22. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Prankster: Brina Palencia, and how! It's worth noting that Tatum tried getting back at her with a prank involving a dead sloth...but it didn't go into effect before opening ceremonies.
- Running Gag: A few show up.
- If they read a question from Steve Yurko of the One Piece Podcast, they will inevitably yell "STEEEEEEEEEVE!"
- "AAAAAAAAL-len Mc-CLOOOOOOOOOUD!"
- "Mm-hmm, mm-hmm."
- Massey Exclusive: THE CLAP.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: In recent episodes, they stopped answering the most popular questions you'd assume fans of voice actors would ask because they don't like repeating themselves, resulting in more talk about their lives in general.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: In a good way. Most, if not all, the guests and even the hosts will rave about the fantastic shows/works/etc. they've been in.
- Squee!: A lot of fans probably did this in episode 23 when Tatum announced he got to work on an episode of Pokémon (a few months later it was revealed he voiced Tobias).
- In episode 10, Brina and Tatum both do this jokingly when they talk about going to Anime Central 2010 together. Awwwwwwwww. Almost makes you forget their "prank wars".
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Happens in episode 23 to beep out the name of a radio show.
- During the Massey episodes, jokingly invoked to beep out curse words.
- The Un-Reveal: Bordering on Noodle Incident, the arm wrestling and leg wrestling contests. And in the first Halloween episode, we lose contact with Todd Haberkorn when he's attacked by something...
- Vagina Dentata: Namedropped by Josh Grelle to kick off episode 23. The hosts are rightly disturbed.