Ranger Danger is a podcast created by two Australian guys, Mat and Michael, who are (obviously) fans of the television series Power Rangers. In this weekly podcast they watch an episode of the show, then break it down and chat about it, either between the two of them or with guests.
Debuting on October 9, 2013, the show recently celebrated its two year anniversary. On February 4 2015 the show premiered a sister show, Ranger Danger Dino Charge, where they review episodes of the current incarnation of Power Rangers, Dino Super Charge.
WARNING: May contain lots of tangents, swearing (mostly in the direction of the writers and characters), and snark. Lots of snark.
Buzzfeed OZ recommended them in an article about 19 Australian podcasts you need to listen to now.
Often mocking the show for it's cheapness, lazy writing, and poor attempts at science-fiction, not much is spared from these two hosts.
- All Men Are Perverts: Subverted with Mat and Michael but very much so with recurring guest Lauren. Especially with the Ranger Danger Bonezone Patreon special.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Covering a Power Rangers Turbo episode that featured a relative misuse of the term 'invisibly' brought the hosts close, but more out of frustration. Learning that the writer of that episode wrote seventeen later episode was enough to cause them to laugh... unpleasantly.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: "Mighty Morphin' [something] Danger".
- Memetic Psychopath: They all interpret Zhane from In Space as this due to a number of his actions.
- Narm: they cover power rangers so it's obvious, sometimes it can be annoying to them but mostly leads to Narm Charm territory.
- The Scrappy: Starting with season 2, theres someone they hate and voice without remorse. Rocky is hated for being incompetent cocky and needy. Zhane is hated for his psychotic tendencies. Kai is hated for his aggressive jerkassery. Joel is hated for being a sex pest
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: They alternate sometimes Michael with his Stalone impression but Mat is usually the one to get into wise guy territory.
- Running Gag: The fake sponsors' adds. Which always comes just in time before the recap/review of the episode.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: The hosts are upfront about the show not being very good, but they often will appreciate when an episode comes out of nowhere to handle some deeper points. For example, they talked at length about how how being told you can't be in high school with your friends any more, because you're so smart that you graduated early on accident will do a number on anyone.
- Two Guys and a Girl: though they've had other women, it's usually Mat, Michael and Lauren.