A weekly podcast coming from the QI offices in "Covernt" Garden in London, join Dan Schreiber, Anna Ptaszynski, James Harkin, and Andrew "Lightning" Murray as they gather around the microphone and share their four favorite facts from the last week and discuss and explore related facts and ideas.
This show provides examples of:
- Awful Wedded Life: James can't help but make "take my wife"-style jokes, which the others credit to his being a northern comedian.
- Brief Accent Imitation: When mentioning something related to the United States, Anna sometimes puts on a vapid Valley Girl accent.
- British Stuffiness: Andy often plays on this trope, presenting himself as socially inept, fusty, and ludicrously middle-class.
- Butt-Monkey: Dan verges on this. Anna describes him as "fourth among equals", and he catches way more mockery than the other hosts. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to mind.
- Call-Back: Especially James regularly makes jokes connecting the topic at hand with a topic that was discussed earlier in the episode.
- Cheap Heat: When the group plays a live show, they invariably find some occasion to poke fun at the host city or reference some local stereotype. Particularly pronounced during visits to Scotland and Australia.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Dan usually plays this role, often delivering facts of dubious plausibility, taking pseudoscience at face value, failing to read the body of articles and simply getting his facts from the titles, and falling for the other hosts' obvious lies. His penchant for fortean phenomena is so strong that the mere mention of yetis counts as a laugh line during live shows.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Do not call Andy "Drew".
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode is titled 'No Such Thing As X', with X being a reference to a joke or fact from that episode.
- One of the Boys: Anna is often more laddish than the male hosts.
- Running Gag: Andy trying to give himself the nickname 'Lightning', and Dan's dubious facts.
- Self-Deprecation: A staple of all four hosts.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Dan is of Australian parentage, grew up in Hong Kong, and has spent more than a decade in Britain, but his accent is rhotic, vaguely North American, and very peculiar.
- You Keep Using That Word: Anna likes to use the word "woman" when referring to a female animal of any species.
Episodes of this series provide examples of:
- Captain Obvious: Andrew in episode 222:
- Metaphorgotten: From an attempted explanation of the layers of skin in episode 203: