The Giant Bombcast is a weekly podcast posted on Tuesdays and covers recent news and releases in the video game industry, as well as happenings around their office.
In 2015, the East Coast office started the Giant Beastcast, which posts on Fridays and follows a similar format.
Provides Examples Of:
- American Accents: Notably contains a strong variety of US accents: Ryan and Jeff sport Northern California accents, Brad's legendary smooth voice is of an Appalachian accent, and Vinny carries a Long Island/New Yorker accent.
- Patrick later joined in with his Chicago accent.
- Darker And Grittier: the Giant Beastcast is subtly this compared to the Bombcast as it's more prone to touching on controversial issues in gaming.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everyone at some point.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first few months of Bombcasts were far different. They're much shorter than they are now; it's just Ryan and Jeff; the pace of conversation is slower, being filled with pauses and awkward silences; the recording equipment is so poor there's an audible hiss behind each spoken word; and there's little to no profanity. It isn't until Brad and Vinny show up that the Bombcast begins to take its recognizable form.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The original crew: Ryan is sanguine, Vinny is choleric, Jeff is melancholic, and Brad is phlegmatic.
- The recent crew: Dan is sanguine, Jeff is choleric, Brad is melancholic, Drew is phlegmatic, and Jason is leukine.
- GB East: Alex is melancholic, Austin is phlegmatic, Vinny is still choleric, and rotating chair Jeff Bakalar is sanguine.
- Guttural Growler: Brad
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Rich Gallup and Alex Navarro have both been on the Bombcast multiple times. And good old Bob turns up while the crew are playing StarCraft II live. The latter eventually became a reviewer in the site.
- More Popular Spinoff: According to Jeff, the podcast apparently has significantly more subscribers than Giant Bomb's readership (hence the recurring emails of people trying to guess what they look like, despite it being fairly easy to look it up on the site).
- Once per Episode: Brad: "Emails!"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the second episode of the NintenDownload X-press, Jeff tricks Vinny and Brad into guesting by making them think they were recording a Bombcast. When they realize they've been duped, they angrily storm out of the podcast room, leaving Jeff sad and alone.
- Special Guest: See I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine; most notably in an episode recorded on their open set Tim Schafer walks by and Brad calls out to him to be on the podcast.
- Usually averted by the Giant Beastcast as their "rotating chair" has only been occupied by anyone other than CNet.com's Jeff Bakalar a handful of times.
- Spin-Off: All aboard the NintenDownload X-press! Created when the Nintendo downloads section of the Bombcast was canceled, the NDX is the underground podcast that sticks it to the man as Jeff Gerstmann brings the thunder as he reads the descriptions of Nintendo's download only titles!
- Vocal Dissonance: Brad's strong, deep voice can seem to be at odds with the shy demeanor you see at panels.