Basic Trope: A villain begs for mercy.
- Straight: Emperor Evulz is defeated, and Hiro is preparing to finish him. Evulz starts begging for his life.
- Downplayed: Evulz kneels before Hiro, and stoically asks Hiro if he can please spare him. When Hiro says no, Evulz sighs and is resigned to his fate.
- Evulz crouches in a pose of supplication, and it looks like hes begging for mercy, but hes actually quietly praying to his god.
- Evulz begs for mercy as leadup to a sudden and inevitable betrayal.
- Double Subverted:
- When Hiro draws his sword, and walks closer, Evulz pathetically clings to his leg, begging the hero to spare him.
- When it turns out Hiro is willing to give him one last chance despite this treacherous attack, Evulz is so moved he breaks down in tears and aks for forgiveness.
- Parodied:Evulz: PLEASE! SPARE MEEEEEE!
Hiro: No. Also, fuck you.
Evulz:*Shrugs* Worth a shot.
- Zig Zagged:
- Averted: No-one begs for anything.
- Enforced: ???
- Spare this poor villainous old fool!
- After what youve done, I dont think I have any left.
- You want mercy? Here's my mercy. (shoots Emperor Evulz)
- Invoked: Evulz decides to beg for mercy upon defeat ahead of time, believing Hiro is gullible enough to fall for it.
- Hiro uses Evulzs fear of death to extort him, saying hell let him live on one condition
- Cruel Mercy
- The plea for mercy was an attempt to get Hiro to let down his guard; when he does, Evulz backstabs him.
- Defied: You want me to beg? Beg on my knees like a dog? Like your father did?! GO ON! TAKE YOUR REVENGE, IF YOU HAVE THE STONES FOR IT!"
- Discussed:Hiro: What the hell makes you think that you, of all people, deserve mercy?Evulz: I dont deserve it; thats why its mercy.
- Conversed: "Man the villain is such a wimp."
Back to Villains Want Mercy