Basic Trope: It's never brought up within a work how a name is spelled, and the scripts and such forth are a bit unreliable, leaving fans in the dark.
- Straight: In The Adventures of Alice and Bob, one of the members of the group of heroes (led by the title characters Alice and Bob) is a small girl. In the credits, her name is spelled "Milly", but she is seen writing "Millie" when asked to write her name and when it is subtitled, her name is written with the obscure spelling "Milli".
- Exaggerated: Every time Milly's (?) name is written, in subtitles, In-Universe, on the credits, etc, it is spelled differently.
- Downplayed: It's clearly established that the girl is named "Millie", however one Fan Fic writer who didn't pay attention and wrote "Milly". The fanfiction is otherwise well written, however, and becomes popular, leading a select few to believe it's spelled with a "y".
- Justified: That would be My Nayme Is.
- Inverted: ???
- Subverted: The scene where the girl writes "Millie" gets edited to "Milly".
- Double Subverted: But the subtitles still spell it "Milli".
- Parodied: This goes on for several seasons, until the credits spell her name as "Millie/y/i".
- Averted: It's "Milly" in all spellings.
- Zigzagged: ???
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Is my name spelled with a 'y', an 'i,e', or just an 'i'?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "It's M-I-L-L-I-E!"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: Some fans have a conversation on how Milly/ie/i's name is spelled.
Back to Spell My Name with an "S"