Basic Trope: A character has two mentors who're trying to bring him over to their point of view.
- Straight: Alice and Bob are both masters of Trope-Fu, however Alice is a lumper, while Bob is a splitter. They both try to convince Claire to be their student and adopt their chosen approach.
- Exaggerated: An ancient curse means that Alice and Bob are complete opposites of one another. Whenever one says something to Claire, the other will appear via a Contrived Coincidence to disagree.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob both mentor Claire together, giving her their differing opinions, but letting her choose her own path.
- Justified: Alice and Bob are rivals and Claire is a promising student. She's really just another objective for them to quarrel over.
- Inverted: Claire's two students, Alice and Bob, can't agree on what her teachings are.
- Subverted: Claire can't stand Alice and Bob's bickering and goes with her own philosophy.
- Double Subverted: Dan shows up and it becomes a mentorship Mêlée à Trois as Alice, Bob and Claire try to make him their student.
- Parodied: Alice and Bob both argue and fight with each other to try and give Claire her lesson for the day.
- Zig Zagged: Alice and Bob sometimes agree to teach Claire and other times one of them can't teach her anything without the other butting in Depending on the Writer.
- Averted: Claire chooses either Alice or Bob as a mentor and the one she doesn't choose respects the decision and looks elsewhere for a student.
- Enforced: Since the villain isn't introduced, Alice and Bob are written in instead of a single mentor in order to create a conflict and give Claire a chance for some Character Development.
- Lampshaded: "So...are either of you going to teach me anything or are you just going to argue?"
- Invoked: Dave picks both Alice and Bob to teach Claire to ensure that she is given a balanced look at Trope-fu.
- Exploited: Claire plays on Alice and Bob's rivalry in order to get them to mentor her in order to one up each other.
- Defied: Claire decides to learn something else to avoid being caught up in Alice and Bob's rivalry.
- Discussed: "This is Alice and this is Bob. They're my Trope-Fu sensei when they aren't arguing."
- Conversed: "Oh, a second mentor, I bet they aren't going to see eye to eye."
- Deconstructed: Alice and Bob spend more time bickering than teaching Claire anything.
- Reconstructed: Through their bickering Claire is able to see both sides of the argument and ends up stronger than both of them as a result.
- Played for Laughs: Claire often finds herself standing between Alice and Bob as they argue back and forth.
- Played for Drama: Alice becomes furious that Claire doesn't drop Bob as a mentor and kills him with a Dangerous Forbidden Technique, which causes her to given in to The Corruption.
Alice: Use Wiki Words; Pot Holes aren't a good choice for this sort of link.
Bob: Says you. Pot Holes avoid breaking the sentence!
Alice: Yeah says me, cretin.
Bob: You take that back!
Alice: Make me, Pot Wh-
ADMIN: Please be cool when you edit. Rudeness is not cool.