Basic Trope: Exclusion via mention.
- Alice invites her friends over for dinner. When her guests arrive, she says, "Thank you all for coming. I have invited you here because you are my closest friends ... and Bob."
- Alice says, "Thank you for coming, everyone except Bob."
- Alice and the others give Bob this treatment many times.
- After defeating Emperor Evulz in a street race, Alice introduces each of her friends to the Eccentric Townsfolk, one by one. The townsfolk applaud everyone except Bob.
- Downplayed: Bob is only Alice's acquaintance, so his exclusion is understandable.
- Subverted: "To all my friends... and Bob... my best friend."
- Double Subverted: "...whom I secretly hate."
- Parodied: Bob has no idea Alice thinks so little of him and keeps trying to get close to her, to no avail.
- Zig Zagged: "...Ha ha! Just kidding."
- Averted: "Thank you, everyone."
- Enforced: "Since Bob is my series' punching bag, I will have him get excluded by Alice once per episode."
- Lampshaded:Bob: Why did you mention me separately from everybody else?
Alice: Because I secretly hate you, Bob.
- Invoked: Bob bullies Alice specifically to make her hate him.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice counts all her friends as equals to each other and herself.
- Discussed: "No, of course I included Bob when I said 'everyone'."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob is a lesser person than Alice and the other members of their social circle. However, he never gets the idea to improve himself to make them like him more.
- Played for Drama: Bob is deeply dismayed by Alice's casual dislike of him. They part on bad terms and never repair their relationship.
Back to The Main Page...and Zoidberg.