Basic Trope: A character takes extra precautions to ensure someone is dead.
- Straight: After killing Marcy, Drake stabs her through the head before leaving.
- Exaggerated: Drake had previously clubbed Marcy repeatedly, stabbed her 28 times, slammed her head on a wall, impaled her with a spear, whipped her until she cried, and broke her back. But just to be sure, Drake shoots her in the head, crushes her skull, breaks all her limbs, then throws her overly-mangled corpse off a cliff.
- Downplayed: Drake clubs Marcy to see if she'd react but nothing more.
- Subverted:Drake: Marcy has fallen. Let's leave.
Marcy: [Thank goodness, he's leaving.]
- Double Subverted:Drake: Actually... shoot that corpse.
- Parodied: To make sure Marcy is dead, Drake orders his soldiers to each hand him a weapon that he will use to mutilate her corpse. Including but not limited to: A mace, shotgun, longsword, spear, katana, death ray, scimitar, flamethrower, laser gun, suicide bomber vest, poisoning...
- Zig Zagged: After killing the entire heroic party, Drake severs Hiro's head off and stabs Claudia through the head. Marcy and Jack recover and mourn over their dead friends.
- Averted: Drake decides to leave after killing Marcy, whether or not she's actually dead.
- Enforced: Drake's actor tends to play/voice Genre Savvy characters, and they decided to put this scene just for him
- Lampshaded: "Sir, is it really necessary to defile that corpse?"
- Invoked: "We need to show that Drake is a rational villain who won't pull any punches"
- Exploited: Marcy is Playing Possum, and waits until Drake thrusts his spear to catch it, break it, then beat him up.
- Defied: Lieutenant Alice suggests that Drake not defile Marcy's corpse to maintain his public image.
- Discussed: "First, we must make sure Marcy is dead. Hand me my spear."
- Conversed: ???
Back to Make Sure He's Dead