Basic Trope: A character is late for school.
- Straight: Alice is late for school.
- Exaggerated: Alice slept in so long that she completely missed school.
- Downplayed: Alice wakes up late, but she should still have plenty of time to get to school.
- Justified: The bus broke down, the alarm clock didn't ring, and she overslept.
- Inverted: Alice arrives way too early to school... Heck! It isn't even open yet.
- Subverted: Alice wakes up late only to find out it's a snow day and school's cancelled...
- Double Subverted: ..."Except for YOU, Alice, if you're not here in ten minutes it's detention for a month!"
- Parodied: Alice, an old woman, finally shows up at the school she should have graduated decades ago.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Alice arrives late to school, other times she arrives too early, and on occasions she's just in time.
- Averted: Alice has plenty of time to get to school and arrives on time.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: When Alice arrives at school, the next exchange happens...Alice: Sorry I'm late.
Teacher: As usual, Alice, as usual...
- Invoked: Alice's little brother turns off her alarm clock.
- Exploited: "Alice has been late so much that if I make her miss it again, she'll be expelled!" (Turns off her alarm clock)
- Defied: Alice sets several alarm clocks, she has a bicycle ready in case the bus breaks down and, in general, she always has a plan to avoid ever being late to school.
- Discussed: "I wish I wasn't always late..."
- Conversed: "I should get to sleep. I don't want to end up like Alice."
- Deconstructed: Alice is given numerous detentions and suspensions for showing up to class late. Eventually, she is expelled.
- Played For Drama: The students pull together and campaign for school to start later.
Back to Late for School.