Basic Trope: Non-Asian(s) confuse(s) an Asian character for another.
- Straight: Bob cannot tell Lee (Chinese) and Nakamura (Japanese) apart.
- Downplayed: Bob can't tell the Chinese Lee and the Japanese Nakamura apart but he can tell Lee apart from the Thai Niran.
- Justified: Bob came from an isolated community with little Asian contact.
- Ang, who is Chinese, cannot tell the difference between Jack the Englishman and Jacques the Frenchman.
- Bob can tell Lee and Nakamura apart easily, and can make intelligent guesses of where Asian individuals are from based on attributes other white individuals would miss.
- Subverted: Bob finally learns the difference between Chinese and Japanese features, and finally stops confusing Lee and Nakamura with each other.
- Double Subverted: ...But it turns out to be a lucky guess and he really still can't tell them apart.
Lee: Hey! How did I managed to get across the street? Oh, well! Hi me, have a nice day!
- Lee and Nakamura look ridiculously obviously Chinese and Japanese respectively, but even then Bob cannot tell them apart.
- Lee and Nakamura are actually identical.
- ... And to make things "worse", Lee and Nakamura cannot tell themselves apart most of times!
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Bob can tell them apart, sometimes he cannot.
- Averted: Bob can differentiate between Asian characters.
- Enforced: An acting troupe is forced to cast the same person as Lee and Nakamura due to their small size.
- Lampshaded: "I can't tell who you are!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: In the face of anti-Chinese sentiment, Lee insists that someone is mistaking him for another Asian.
- Defied: Bob does his research to avoid making this sort of mistake again.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob's confusion gets him in trouble with ultra-nationalists and ethnic gangs who think he's mocking them.
- Reconstructed: But then they see Bob going out of his way to actually learn about them and give it a pass.
- Played For Laughs: A show has multiple Asian characters all played by the same actor. (yes, ALL of them, including the women)
- Played For Drama: A World War II drama where Chinese immigrants to America have to contend with racism due to being constantly mistaken as Japanese.
Back to Identical-Looking Asians