Basic Trope: Broken mirrors are used as a sign of insanity.
- Straight: Barbara goes to Alan's house after years of not seeing him, and finds that all of the mirrors in his house are broken. This is because Alan is cursed, and in a fit of What Have I Become? broke every mirror in his house so he wouldn't have to see himself like this.
- Exaggerated: Alan breaks any object that's shiny enough to be used as a mirror.
- Downplayed: Alan breaks a good amount of mirrors in his house, but hides the rest.
- Justified: Alan didn't want to see how he looked in his cursed form.
- Inverted: Alan fixes mirrors to show that he's regained his sanity.
- Subverted: ???
- Double Subverted: ???
- Parodied: Alan breaks every mirror in his house so he doesn't have to see himself... despite the fact that he's a vampire and has no reflection to be seen.
- Zig-Zagged: ???
- Averted: There are no broken mirrors.
- Enforced: "We need to show just how messed up Alan has become after getting cursed, let's add multiple broken mirrors. There's just some symbolism waiting for us in the visceral sight of a broken mirror."
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: The curse gives Alan a strong impulse to break every mirror he has.
- Exploited: Shards of the broken mirrors are later used to fight the villain when he intrudes Alan's house.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to House of Broken Mirrors