Basic Trope: A child who's a result of an Interspecies Romance or an interracial romance faces prejudice and mistreatment because of their heritage.
- EJ, son of a vampire and a human, is treated poorly by both factions. Humans fear him because he's a "monster" who can pass off as one of them. Vampires look down on him because his blood is "tainted."
- Lana is biracial and suffers from racism aimed at both sides of her heritage. It doesn't help that neither side considers her as "one of them."
- Even before the child was born (either at the time right after conception or the mother's pregnancy being known), people already hated them.
- Should EJ wander into a vampire or human-only place, the inhabitants will immediately set their sights on getting rid of him.
- Lana constantly lives in fear of being lynched whenever she goes out on onto the streets.
- Only one side despises the child while the other is indifferent to their half breed status.
- The child still is considered a member of both sides, they are just...of the lower class kind.
- Both factions aren't pleased with the child's existence, but they're passive-agressive about it or usually hide it.
- EJ is treated poorly for being 1/4 vampire
- Lana is treated poorly for being 1/4 of another race.
- Inverted: The child is adored by both sides, maybe it's the powers that come with such a hybrid or the exotic beauty.
- Subverted: EJ or Lana goes to a bar, in the mood for a good drink. This happens...Bartender: Sorry, we can't serve you
EJ/Lana: Is it because I'm one of those "half breeds"? That's not exactly nice, pal.
Bartender: No, it's because you're underage kid.
- Double Subverted: After EJ or Lana walks out, the bartender mutters "good riddance, half breed."
- Parodied: Neither EJ nor Lana can order a double whopper at Burger King's, they'll have to stick with the regular sized burgers.
- Zig Zagged:
- Just how these half-breeds are treated by others varies from place to place
- ...or just exactly what type of half breed you are, considering the fact EJ's werepyre cousin is treated with adoration.
- Averted: Half-breed or full-breed, these factors don't affect how society treats people.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: The child is often receiving remarks that could be interpreted as a jab at their Mixed Ancestry. It depends on how you look at it.
- The child ends up resenting their parents. It's not like they asked to be born, after all.
- Because both races favor the "full-blooded", they constantly inbreed in order to maintain "purity" in bloodlines. Eventually, this backfires with generations of inbreeding resulting in weak and/or insane offspring. Compared to the half-breed, who's far more capable, healthy and stronger than they are thanks to having more varied genes.
- Played For Laughs: The child has lots of slurs thrown at them... which are bad portmanteaus of slurs hurled at the races of their parents. The ridiculousness of it really fails to faze the child.
- Played For Drama: The child grows up with self-resentment, suicidal tendencies (since they feel like things would be better off without them) and debilitating identity issues.
Back to Half-Breed Discrimination, because you're neither a trope nor a cliché, so you're not one of us.