Basic Trope: A character says something that upsets another. In response, a drink or a piece of food is thrown in their face.
- Straight: Bob tells Alice that she looks nice in her new dress, despite her recent weight gain. Alice empties her glass of wine onto his head.
- At their wedding reception Bob is caught kissing Alice's sister; Alice pushes their five tier wedding cake onto him and then throws him into the chocolate fountain.
- She empties an entire keg over Bob.
- Downplayed: Bob tells Alice that she looks nice in her new dress, despite her recent weight gain. Alice throws a grape at Bob.
- Alice has stress seizures when she gets really upset. Her throwing her wine onto Bob was unintentional, although well deserved.
- In Real Life this is actually a rather socially accepted action when someone really upsets you.
- Bob dumps a glass of wine onto Alice's head, which upsets her.
- Bob does something that really pisses Alice off; he throws a piece of cake into her face in a misguided attempt to lighten the mood.
- Alice empties her glass of wine onto his head as a sign of delight when he complements her dress.
- Bob tells Alice that her front teeth make her look like a chipmunk; Alice is very offended and picks up the nearest wine glass and proceeds to down it, because she's The Alcoholic.
- Alice goes to throw the glass of wine into Bob's face, but he moves out of the way.
- Alice goes to throw wine on Bob, but the glass is empty.
- Alice goes to throw wine on Bob, but the Prince of Pranksters swapped her glass with one filled with wine-colored jelly that stays in the glass.
- Double Subverted:
- Alice then spits out her wine into Bob's face.
- When he moved out of the way of Alice's wine, Bob tripped and fell into the chocolate fountain.
- Alice smashes her empty glass onto Bob's head.
- Alice's mother saw the whole thing; when Alice doesn't throw her wine, she steps in to douse Bob.
- Alice scoops out the jelly and mashes it onto Bob's nose.
- Parodied:Bob: "Hello, Alice."
Alice: "How dare you!" (She throws her wine at him.)
Bob: "You look nice in your dress."
Alice: "You son of a bitch!" (Throws a piece of cake at Bob.)
Bob: "Have you lost weight?"
Alice: "I'LL KILL YOU!" (smashes a wine bottle over his head.)
- Alice has a food gun which she keeps around just in case Bob pisses her off.
- Zig Zagged: Food Fight ensures.
- Averted: Alice restrains herself from food slapping Bob.
- "Then we'll insert a montage of Bob getting drinks thrown in his face by various women."
- Bob was supposed to hit Alice, but the creator knew there would be complaints by Moral Guardians. As the result, they have Bob grab a huge piece of salami and use it to slap her across the face to Cross the Line Twice.
- Lampshaded:Bob: "Alice, should you really be drinking wine in your condition?"
Alice: "What condition?"
Bob: "You know... (He gestures knowingly at her stomach.) Your condition."
Alice says nothing; she gives him the death glare.
Bob (Slowly realizing): "...You aren't pregnant are you?"
Alice shakes her head.
Bob: Well then, I believe the genre of Romantic Comedies dictates that you now toss your wine in my face, right?"
- "That's a senseless waste of perfectly good wine."
Bob: "Alice, I need to tell you something, but first—" (He takes her glass of wine from her and splashes it onto his own face before giving it back.)
- Alice is oblivious to how bad her cosmetic skills are and most of her friends are too kind to tell her. She arrives at Kate's wedding looking more clownish than ever and Bob finally decides to break the news to her.
Alice: "Bob, what are you doing?"
Bob: "You're really bad at putting on make-up."
Bob: You look like a televangelist. You look like Ronald McDonald's pillow after a night of hard drinking. You look like Wynona Judd if she decided to 'tone it down.'"
Alice: "How dare you!" '''(She goes to throw her drink in his face but her glass is empty)."
- Claris suggest Alice to do this as a Cool and Unusual Punishment.
- Exploited: Bob likes wine, so he insults Alice and opens his mouth wide to take it all in.
- Defied: Bob takes her drink away from her before she throws it.
- Discussed:Tim: "Bob, dude, if you say that to Alice she's sure to throw her drink in your face."
- Conversed: "Alice throws her drink in his face because he has been implying that she needs to lose weight these past few episodes."
- Implied: At a wedding Bob comes up to Alice with cake smashed onto his face.Bob: "I just asked your sister if she was pregnant."
Alice: "But I don't have a sister."
Bob: "Yeah, your brother made that point pretty clear."
- Deconstructed: Alice was frowned at for wasting a good wine...
- Reconstructed: ...Until everyone decides that Bob had it coming
- Played For Drama: Turns out Bob is allergic to whatever was thrown in his face. After returning from the hospital, he sues the food-slapper for battery with a deadly weapon.
Back to Food Slap