Basic Trope: Twisting the innocence and femininity of ballet to unnerve.
- Straight: Alice the ballerina has inflicted Weight Loss Horror on herself and caused accidents to happen to rivals so that she can remain the prima ballerina.
- Exaggerated: All ballet dancers are completely obsessed with self-image, are skeleton-thin and are brutally murdering each other left and right in plain sight to get the roles that they want.
- Downplayed: The naturally unsettling parts of ballet are frankly portrayed, like what ballet dancers do to their feet while on pointe, but not Played for Horror.
- Justified: ???
- Inverted: ???
- Subverted: Alice has a creepy smile on her face as the movie fades in to show her on the stage, but it turns out that she's dancing the part of a villain.
- Double Subverted:...a part she got by causing an accident to happen to the original choice.
- Parodied: Alice is an edgy angsty teenage goth girl who carries around a fake knife, threatening to murder her fellow ballet dancers.
- Zig-Zagged: ???
- Averted: Ballet is portrayed as graceful and innocent.
- Enforced: The author is increasing the horror of already-unsettling aspects of ballet to make a point.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: The villain is a ballerina and intentionally makes her dancing creepy.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Sugarplum fairy? More like sugarplum SCARY!