Basic Trope: Character X complains about Character Y's complaining.
- Straight: Alice makes a rant about Bob complaining.
- Alice and Bob endlessly complain about each other's complaining about their complaining in high Wangst levels.
- Alice starts a movement consisting of every other character in the setting to complain about Bob's complaining.
- Downplayed: Alice cautions Bob not to complain too much, or he won't get listened to. Her tone suggests this is a complaint.
- Justified: People don't always complain to the right people, in the right way or with reasonable frequency.
- Alice complains about Bob not complaining.
- Alice complains about Bob praising something.
- Alice praises Bob for complaining about something.
- Subverted: Alice backtracks a little and states that Bob's complaints are valid...
- Double Subverted: ...in some cases. However, Alice stands by her opinion that Bob needs to complain less.
- Parodied: Alice forces Bob to clean her toilet because he made one small complaint.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice doesn't complain about Bob's complaining.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "You're complaining about me doing something that you're doing now?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: To avoid looking like a hypocrite, Alice doesn't give Bob flak for complaining.
- Discussed:Charlie: Gosh, I'm tired of Alice and Bob's complaining about each other.
Dave: Um... Charlie, I think you're complaining about their complaining.
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice's complaining about Bob's complaining has led others into complaining about her complaining, and the vicious cycle continues. Just about nobody can get along with each other anymore.
- Reconstructed: Alice, Bob and the various other complainers address the source of Bob's complaining. Realising the silly nature of the whole incident, they make a running joke about complaining about complaining.
Back to Complaining about Complaining