Basic Trope: The new character becomes the protagonist.
- Straight: James takes his father, Bob's role of being the protagonist in "The Fight 2".
- Exaggerated: "The Fight 3" has James' son, Leon. Then, "The Fight 4" has Leon's best friend Alex, then...
- Downplayed: "The Fight 5" has Alex's sister as the deuteragonist.
- Justified: Bob is retired and has a new life.
- Inverted: Bob remains the protagonist, but his entire Side Kick entourage and Rogues Gallery are replaced with new characters.
- Subverted: Bob comes back from his 10-Minute Retirement.
- Double Subverted: Then he is retired again.
- Parodied: A show switches protagonists every five minutes.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: The protagonist never changes.
- Enforced: "We can't get the same actor to play the protagonist for the sequel, but we can get the sidekick..."
- Lampshaded: "So...What happened to the other guy?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob refuses to be left out of the next adventure just because he's getting old.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Changing of the Guard