Basic Trope: Fire is effective at destroying undead.
- Straight: Zombies burn easily.
- Exaggerated: A zombie that withstood several SMG clips goes up like a firecracker when Alice throws a lit cigarette at it.
- Downplayed: It does work, but it takes a lot of heat to the point where killing them with kinetic weapons is sometimes more efficient.
- Justified: The zombies were embalmed before burial. As a mixture of formaldehyde, methanol, ethanol, and several other chemicals, embalming fluid is highly flammable.
- Subverted: Bob takes a flamethrower to a vampire, expecting it to burn rapidly. The vamp sarcastically says, "Ow, that really hurts."
- Double Subverted: But when Alice gets out a gun loaded with incendiary rounds, the vamp catches fire rapidly. Turns out they're only invulnerable to fire on the outside.
- Parodied: A vampire is stalking Bob. By pure coincidence Bob chooses that moment to light up a bong and the vampire runs away screaming and crying.
- A vampire drops dead after a particularly savage insult making fun of his fashion sense..
- Zig Zagged: Skeletons and mummies are vulnerable to fire, but not ghouls or vampires. The lich is vulnerable to fire, but sometimes casts "Resist Flame" on himself in combat.
- Averted: Fire is no more effective at destroying undead than anything else, or is completely ineffective.
- Enforced: The network wants more action, less cerebral character drama. Using this trope is an excuse to give Bob a flamethrower.
- Lampshaded: "Did you just slay a vampire with a cigarette lighter? I thought you had to stake them."
- Invoked: The necromancers who created the zombies needed a way out if they were Turned Against Their Masters, so they made the zombies weak to fire and prepared fire spells.
- Exploited: Alice loads her shotgun with incendiary shells, knowing that zombies burn well.
- Defied: A necromancer enchants his zombies with heat resistance spells.
- Discussed:Bob: Alice, why are you pouring lamp oil on the zombies?
Alice: I'm gonna light them on fire.
- Conversed: "You know, they missed an opportunity to have Alice and Bob use that gas stove as an impromptu zombie barbecue."
Back to Burn the Undead.