Though released during the Broadway musical's runaway success, the game is not based from it. It is instead based on the original 1911 novel by Gaston Leroux. As the Phantom, scurry across the Catwalk, walk behind the Magic Mirror, then arise from the Trap Door behind the stage. Choose between the Scorpion and the Grasshopper, play the Organ and activate its secret passage, then start the three-ball multiball and steel yourself against the sight of the Phantom's disfigured face.
The Phantom of the Opera demonstrates the following tropes:
- Antagonist Title: The Phantom of the Opera is the story's antagonist.
- Creator Cameo: Paul Faris' daughter was the model for Christine Dae on the backglass.
- Dead Guy on Display: The body of a scene-shifter can be seen hanging beneath the Phantom's face on the backglass.
- Dramatic Unmask: Done with the Phantom on the backglass. The glass is decorated on both sides, with the hat and mask on the front, and the Phantom's true face on the back. At certain times during the game, the flashers behind the glass light up, allowing players and spectators to see his disfigured face through the mask.
- Mad Artist: Along with being a Stalker with a Crush and a killer, the Phantom is a musician, composer, and singing teacher.
- Match Sequence: Accompanied by a set of musical notes, a song plays while two digits cycle through various values. The value when the song ends is the match number.
- Missing Secret: The "fast lock" light at the trap door has no functionality.
- The Mockbuster: Let's face it, the real reason this game exists was to ride on the coattails of the Broadway musical, not out of love for Gaston Leroux's writing.
- Nothing but Skulls: A pile of skulls can be seen in the upper-left corner of the playfield.
- Progressive Jackpot: Collected by opening and then shooting a ball into the organ after starting 3-ball multiball and still having two or more balls left in play. Similar to Taxi, completing the top lanes will cause each jet bumper hit to increase the jackpot for a limited period of time.
- Skill Shot: Launch the ball into the top flashing lane for a bonus and to open the organ.
- Spelling Bonus: P-H-A-N-T-O-M lights the Catwalk for unlimited million shots, while spelling O-N-E and T-W-O together activates the Organ.