Indiana Jones (not to be confused with the earlier Williams game Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure) is a pinball table made by Stern Pinball in 2008, coinciding with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was designed by John Borg with artwork by Kevin O'Connor and programming by Keith Johnson.
The game is all about the Indiana Jones film franchise, and there are four modes, one for each of them. It has a number of toys to further connect it to the movies, like recreations of the Ark, the Holy Grail, and the titular Crystal Skull, as well as a swordsman behind a wall. The game itself also has scenes from the movie fully recreated on the display. The game is also notable for having an eight-ball multiball mode, topped off with the infamous Ark scene from Raiders.
This Indiana Jones pinball machine provides examples of:
- Arc Number: Four; there are four movies to be completed, and they each have four steps.
- Art Shift: The display mixes digitized clips from the movies with hand-animated graphics, often with clashing results.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The four movies are each color-coded. Last Crusade is blue, Temple of Doom is red/orange, Raiders of the Lost Ark is yellow, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is green.
- Crystal Skull: The upper right corner of the playfield features a crystalline alien skull (from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, naturally).
- Gotta Catch Them All!: Most of the movie modes task the player with acquiring objects, like Sankara stones.
- Indy Escape: Getting an extra ball prompts the display to show the trope-naming scene where Indy outruns a boulder (here meant to represent the extra ball tiself).
- Level Grinding: Making progress requires shooting the same few shots repeatedly.
- Match Sequence: The game plays a film clip where Indy runs from fire, then pauses it to display the number.
- Power Glows: During the buildup to the "Final Adventure", The Ark of the Covenant starts to glow red.
- Rule of Three: Three stones are needed for the Temple of Doom multiball mode.
- Spelling Bonus: A lot of them: M-A-P lights the bonus multiplier, I-N-D-Y-J-O-N-E-S awards a bonus, and "R-A-I-D-E-R-S" starts a mode. In the lattermost case, the letters are sometimes awarded in groups.