Gorgar is a 1979 pinball game designed by Barry Oursler and released by Williams Electronics. It features artwork by Constantino and Jeanine Mitchell, and sounds programmed by Eugene Jarvis. You play a barbarian warrior who ventures into Gorgar's volcanic lair to try to rescue your lover and face off against the demon, Gorgar.
Gorgar was the first commercially released pinball game to feature speech, with a vocabulary of seven words that could be strung together into simple sentences. The game also had a heartbeat background sound that would speed up during game play. To convince operators to order the game, Williams included a 45rpm record with some flyers that played the sounds the machine made (you can listen to it here).
The game inspired the German power metal group Helloween to record a song called "Gorgar"; it was released on their album Walls of Jericho.
A digital version of this pinball is available in Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection and The Pinball Arcade. However, due to the license for all WMS tables expiring, Gorgar is no longer available to purchase in the latter as of July 2018.
This pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Antagonist Title
- Barbarian Hero: The player.
- Big Red Devil: Gorgar, who's clearly meant to invoke Satan without actually being Satan.
- Cool Helmet
- Convection Schmonvection: Played straight with the hero and his maiden, who suffer no ill effects from Gorgar's volcanic lair.
- Do Well, but Not Perfect: The spinner is lit for 1,000 a spin (instead of 100 per spin) if the player's base bonus increases to 10K, but it unlights once the player's base bonus reaches 20K or more.
- Fur Bikini: The woman is wearing a very skimpy one.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack
- Heroic Fantasy
- Horned Humanoid: Gorgar has two small bull horns.
- Human Sacrifice: Complete with blood-soaked altar.
- Lava Pit: Gorgar's lair.
- Machine Monotone: Although, it's not completely monotone (unlike Williams' later Firepower), especially since Gorgar has a human voice.
- Mad Libs Dialogue
- Obvious Rule Patch: Gorgar's software has a bug where it would not recognize coins inserted while the game was talking. To alleviate this, Williams shipped a sticker for the coinbox that read, "Wait until I stop talking before inserting coins!"
- Snake Pit
- Spelling Bonus: G-O-R advances the Pit value, G-A-R lights the bumpers, and G-O-R-G-A-R raises the eject value up to an extra ball.Gorgar: "You... hurt... Gorgar!"
- You No Take Candle / Hulk Speak: Gorgar speaks phrases formed from the following seven words: "Gorgar", "speaks", "me", "you", "got", "hurt", and "beat".
- Gorgar: "You... beat... me!"