open/close all folders
A Certain Magical Index
- In Twist Of Fate, Touma tells Index that he's seen how happy his parents are with each other and would like to have a similar relationship with a girl, but he fears that no girl would ever want to be with a misfortune "loser" like him. Index walks away and cries, realizing that he hasn't picked up on her feelings or that of pretty much every female character in the fic. He remains so dense that he doesn't pick up on Misaki and Seria's feelings even after they all go out, get drunk, and spend the night together.
Axis Powers Hetalia
- Turned Up to Eleven in Kyon: Big Damn Hero, with Kyon completely unaware of the affections of Haruhi, Mikuru, Nagato (sort of), Kanae, Tsuruya, and many of the girls in his school. Until his shoe locker is filled with notes from those girls, that is. He's also incapable of spotting the polyamorous relationship that several other characters share. Even Mikuru worked that one out.
- Last Child of Krypton: Shinji fell for Asuka as soon as he met her, but did not believe she liked him... until she lunged at him.
- Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton: Shinji fits in the "deep, deep denial" variety. Although he spends half story thinking of ways to ask Asuka out he has no idea that she is falling in love with him. Likewise, Asuka takes a long while until she notices Shinji likes her.
- In My Huntsman Academia, Izuku and Shouto are this to varying degrees. A lifetime of being bullied powdered Izuku's self-esteem and he's thoroughly convinced that no girl on Remnant would want to date someone as high-maintenance as he is. Because of this, he has no idea that his kindhearted demeanor and impressive abs are winning his female friends' hearts until Yang decides to ask him out. In Shouto's case, his lack of human contact prior to coming to Beacon has just made him oblivious to social cues that could be interpreted as romantic. He thinks nothing of stripping a girl's wet clothes off during a rescue mission and is confused when Weiss starts fidgeting when he starts feeding her ice cream.
- Twice Upon An Age: In All This Sh*t is Twice as Weird, Mahanon, in one of his Gadfly moments, teases his best friend Victoria that her Love Interest is the walking personification of this trope.Mahanon: In the future, people will ask themselves, "On a scale of one to Cullen Rutherford, how oblivious to love is this person?"
- Precocious Love gives us Robin and Lucina, ironically enough. Robin has unknowingly attracted the crush of the female Shepherds, along with Lucina. Where the irony comes in is that both are completely oblivious to each others feelings, and confide it to others. Chapter three has Robin take Lucina out to a restaurant because she didn't eat that day. She thought it was a date, and he didn't know how it sounded like until later that day. Unfortunately, the "date" didn't happen, as the Shepherds had to help a nearby village.
- In Hunting the Unicorn, Blaine's trust in people and his inability to gauge when people are interested combines this into Fridge Horror: If Blaine didn't get the picture when Kurt was all but throwing himself at him, nor when his old high school friend tried to invoke a Dance of Romance, it's only logical that he has no clue when someone is stalking him.
- The title character of Alexandra Quick has a serious complex about this that extends beyond romantic love. Essentially her sense of self worth is so poor that she has difficulty comprehending that other people care about her. She still hasn't cottoned on the fact that her school's headmistress cares about her more than she lets on, she thinks that her foster mother hates her and never wanted her, she generally assumes that anyone trying to make friends with her is trying to deceive or humiliate her (though paranoia factors into this as much as poor self-esteem). The only person she is generally willing to accept love from is her best friend Anna and she may be missing something there as well.
- In The Shoebox Project, Sirius believes that Remus is oblivious to love.Kissing Lily was being touched with purpose but even that was sort of a joke, and now he's thinking about kissing, and is that why Sirius has licked his lips twelve times in the past thirty seconds? "Oh," Remus says suddenly. "I get it. I'm rocks."
The Hunger Games
- In Some Semblance of Meaning, Vale could easily be accused of this. Her Love Interest, Obsidian, isn't quite as bad as she is, but even so, by the time he finally realizes his feelings for Vale, several others—Amber and the other Careers, Phlox, Vale's sister Laurel, and probably even Caesar Flickerman and others in the Capitol—had already picked up on it long ago.
- When The Moon Fell In Love With The Sun: Bad as she is in the actual series, Katniss' portrayal here is even more so. Peeta treats her like a queen, he repeatedly states that the only thing he wants is for her to be happy, she knows there's a girl in District 12 he's in love with, Everyone Can See It... but she believes it's physically impossible for Peeta to have any feelings for her no matter how obvious it is. 11 chapters in, she's still at the stage of thinking that someday they might be friends (even when she's started having Erotic Dreams about him and that she clearly has strong feelings for him).
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- The male lead of The Private Diary of Elizabeth Quatermain manages to completely miss the fact that the woman he adores has it bad for him right back, even when it's pointed out by another character.
The Lord of the Rings
- Frodo in The Very Secret Diaries is oblivious to the fact that every single member of the Fellowship wants in his pants, and tries to flee to Mordor when he figures it out.Sam coming too. Good thing, as will enable me to have more of those platonic, brotherly foot massages he's so good at.
- In Game Theory, Tiida Lanster completely fails to notice Rizu's massive crush on him.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
- In the Rain: Rainbow Dash. Twilight Sparkle's "hints" grow progressively more elephantine, from rhapsodising about storms using terms that also apply to Dash, to straight-out telling her about lesbianism and how it's not too uncommon in Canterlot. In the ending with the Relationship Upgrade, we get this gem:Twilight: Dash, has anypony ever had a crush on you?
Dash: I don't know. Maybe?
Twilight: Well, one does now...
Dash: Who is it?
Twilight: [Face Palm]
- The Life and Times of a Winning Pony:
- It took a very great deal of efforts, hints and time to get it through Rainbow Dash's skull that Pinkie was in love with her.
- Somewhat ironically for the Princess of Love, it takes Cadance surprising amount of time to realize Shining was into her. In Cadance's Lovely Misadventure, she managed to completely miss every sign Shining sent her way. When he said he was interested in someone in the nobility, and that he was a close friend to, she concluded that he was homosexual, since she though he meant one of his other male friends and it simply never occurred to her he could possibly be talking about her.
- Admittedly, Shining wasn't much better. It took him just as long to realize that Cadence liked him that way — in fact, he didn't catch on until Musette said to his face in so many words that Cadence was interested in him. By that point, their relationship had degenerated into one where each was in love with each other but did nothing about it out of conviction that the other wasn't interested in them.
- Magician's Obsessions: A defining plot point. Anypony who cares to look will notice that Twilight and Trixie are head over hooves in love with each other, but Trixie's egotistical stage persona keeps her from seeing Twilight as anything but a Worthy Opponent, while Twilight's lack of social skills makes her think that what she's feeling is only very intense friendship. Even though Twilight was suffering a severe depression due to longing for Trixie, while Trixie has an entire shrine with pictures and news clippings about Twilight.Celestia: At this rate I may need to send her a book on the subject, or perhaps just write her a message telling her she is in love. For being my smartest student to date, Twilight is also sadly the most dense.
- The Pieces Lie Where They Fell:
- For a very long time, Wind Breaker had no idea that Diamond Back secretly had a crush on him.
- Gentle Step is clearly attracted to Memorizing Gaze, but doesnt seem to realize her own feelings for him until it's pointed out to her in the sequel Picking Up the Pieces .
- In Spectacular Seven, Twilight is reunited with Moondancer, who is a childhood friend that Twilight spent a lot of time when they were younger. And yet, despite being in a committed relationship with Sunset Shimmer, Twilight can't see that Moondancer is head-over-heels in love with her for quite a while. Twilight does manage to figure it out after the end of the first volume, with Sunset Shimmer laying on thick levels of snark about how it took Twilight that long to notice.
- Stallions Of Harmony Verse:
- Shining Armor doesn't register the dozens if not more mares (and stallions) that like him, even if you tell him that directly in the face. He treats their confessions and love letters as "pranks".
- Spitfire doesn't realize that her best friend, Soarin, is in love with her for years. To be fair, he never tells her outright, but only gave hints that she missed.
- In Twilight Learns a Secret, Twilight was several months into her relationship with Dash before she even realized she was in one. And that was only because RD kissed her, and then spent several pages explaining the situation. Possibly with diagrams.
- In The Apprentice, the Student, and the Charlatan, Nova Shine, full stop. Cadance has to tell him point-blank that Twilight has a crush on him and he quite literally has no idea how to react to Twilight telling him to his face that she loves him. However, this has a lot to do with him trying to keep himself closed off from others, and it finally takes his father coming in and giving him a good lecture to get him to realize he loves Twilight back.
- The Flash Sentry Chronicles: Twilight and Flash play this not only towards each other but themselves too, not even realizing they have feeling for each other until years after becoming friends. Even Princess Cadance, the princess of love, has been trying in vain for years to get the two of them to hook up.
- In Catch Your Breath, Keisuke Gekko is entirely oblivious to Kakashi's feelings toward her for most of the story's Door Stopper length. This is due to a combination of her crappy self-esteem, reincarnation issues, and canon-based Selective Obliviousness, and the fact that Kakashi Cannot Spit It Out. It's evolved into a Running Gag.
- Naruto in Escape from the Hokage's Hat. In part due to No Social Skills and in part the people around him not giving him any relationship to learn from or anybody teaching him about it. Kakashi is a single man who reads smut in public. Anything Jiraiya says is written off as bullshit by Naruto. Sakura's failed attempts to get Sasuke's attention won't help Naruto any. Tsunade would only bring up her dead boyfriend. Shizune is single and tends to tease him relentlessly on the subject of relationships. Sasuke is a Celibate Hero who finds love annoying. Compound the fact that he's going through puberty and you get one very confused little boy. A confused little boy who thinks that finding someone attractive means you're a pervert.
- History's Strongest Shinobi: Naruto and Kenichi. Kenichi only has eyes for Miu. Naruto has gone on record to state "I'm shit with girls." and of the girls who like him one sees him as Just a Kid, there is too much baggage associated to another and the third is a downplayed Tsundere who's not trying to rush revealing her feelings.
- In Naruto: the Secret Songs of the Ninja Naruto loans Hinata his forehead protector (she left hers behind when she ran away from home) as a sign of how much faith he has in her during a fight, something which gives her enough strength to win. When they get back to Konoha and she retrieves her own, she asks Naruto if she can keep his and let him have hers to replace it instead. After pondering why she'd want the forehead protector he received from Iruka-sensei rather than the one she earned herself, he has a Eureka Moment- because him having Iruka's old forehead protector is like having part of Iruka with him at all times, obviously Hinata is comforted by having part of Iruka with her as well. He even observes that him wearing Hinata's forehead protector means that it's like she's always with him now, but doesn't think anything of it other than "that's pretty neat".
- A new world: Story of a lost Shinobi: Subverted. Naruto and Mirajane openly flirt and tend to indulge each others Covert Pervert. Due to this, Natsu goes to Naruto for advice on how to start dating Lucy and Gray is less dismissive of Juvia's feelings what with having Naruto's interactions with Mira giving them perspective.
- Frustratingly played straight in Time and Again. Naruto grows up in a Bad Future, where Orochimaru successfully obtained Sasuke's body, to be a single 35 year old with Hinata as his best and closest friend. He STILL doesn't see she loves him. Not helped by Hinata due to Cannot Spit It Out. Even when Naruto goes through Mental Time Travel, due to dying by Orochimaru's hands , he spends most of his time helping and hanging out with Hinata. Sakura and Sasuke even call him out on it. The kicker is HE DOES love her back... but he rationalizes his love for her as him trying to make up for not stopping her from entering a (very unhappy) Arranged Marriage and getting Neji and Hanabi killed even when she never blamed him in the Bad Future.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
- A Crown of Stars: A lot of the troubles Shinji and Asuka faced in the past and many of their traumas are rooted in their inability to realize each other's feelings, believing she hated him/he was not interested in her, and missing all hints stating otherwise. Late in the history, Asuka wonders whether their lives might have been different if he would have noticed her hints or she would have been more sincere and less prideful.
- Advice and Trust: Subversion. In the prologue Misato thinks Shinji and Asuka are still oblivious to each other's feelings and she tries to encourage Shinji to win Asuka over... not knowing they got together two months ago. The first chapter narrates how they accidentally noticed each other's feelings after dancing around each other for months without realizing the obvious, and both got shocked reactions.
- The Child of Love: In chapter 2 Hikari realizes what Shinji has no idea what Asuka likes him, and his obliviousness surprises her:Hikari:"Oh, don't tell me you don't know at all...I know she likes you very much."
- Children of an Elder God: During a large fraction of the story, if you tell Shinji that Asuka and Rei are smitten over him, he will laugh and say that is crazy talk.
- Evangelion 303: Asuka never noticed her best friend Jessika had a huge crush on her. Jessika never wanted her to know either, because she knew Asuka was in love with Shinji and would not love her back anyway.
- Ghosts of Evangelion: Shinji and Asuka were completely oblivious to each other's feelings, which led to their world ending. Even after Instrumentaliy they are incredibly dense. After several years, Shinji confesses and Asuka doesnt believe him initially:"I didn't get what you wanted. I wanted the same thing you did, and I didn't get it. I just... I guess I just lost it in a different way."
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide, Shinji liked Asuka but he thought that she hated him. Asuka liked Shinji but she thought that he hated her. They needed one more death battle to open up and realize each other's feelings.
- The One I Love Is: Shinji had no freaking idea that Asuka and Rei liked him. He was utterly clueless. So that when Rei gave him chocolates in episode 1 he was surprised. When Asuka got mad with jealousy he was incredulous. When Hikari told Asuka liked him he was shocked and amazed. Then in episode 2 they argued, shouting (Asuka) and snarling (Rei) at each other that he was hers and Shinji finally got a clue. Finally.
- Scar Tissue: Asuka does not get why Shinji puts up with her despite of all she has done to him. Shinji has convinced himself that Asuka hates him because all he has done to her. Misato wonders how both kids can be so dense.
- The Peggy Sue Fix Fic The Second Try subverts the trope. Everyone think Shinji and Asuka are oblivious to each other's feelings... but in reality they not only are well-aware but also they got married before returning to the past. But since they don't want anybody finds out they are time-travellers, they pretend they are blind to each other's feelings.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
- Broken Bow: Being the son of Artemis, the goddess whose existence revolves around the pure and innocent, Armani Dove is clueless about love.
- Pokémon Reset Bloodlines: In this story Ash is not as bad about this as he was in canon (partly because he's a teenager as opposed to a 10-year-old), but for a large part of the story he remains unaware that his female companions all harbor a degree of attraction towards him. It takes him being kidnapped by Sabrina and then rescued and a chat with Pikachu to finally internalize that, indeed, they've all had crushes on him for quite a while.
- In Baker School Blitz, Jim, despite picking up nonexistent hints that John may be in love with Sherlock, is frustratingly oblivious to the fact that his best friend Sebastian has been nursing a painful crush on him for years.
Sword Art Online
- In Fly a Little Faster Stiles is extremely oblivious to just who Derek is actually in love with, until the evidence gets too much for him to ignore. Unfortunately at that moment Ennis attacks.
- In this fanfiction, Lara is this trope (as opposed to her mostly asexual portrayal in canon.) Lara admits in her own narration that she 'needs' Sam, the two sleep in the same bed every night, she feels jealous when a boy pays attention to Sam, and yet it takes several weeks before she realizes that her feelings for Sam might be romantic. Sam's response to Lara's eventual Love Confession:Sam: I told myself I wouldnt say finally.' Butgodfinally!
- In Silencio: It takes three dates and the other Undersiders taking pity on her before Taylor figures out that Amy is in love with her.
Yuri! On Ice
- Rivals Series: Yuuri is completely blind to any and all romantic interest in him due to a combination of insecurity and single-minded focus on ice skating. This goes double for Viktor's interest in him, as his image of Viktor is almost irreversibly tainted by his contempt and obsession with the man, and even getting to know the real Viktor doesn't change that until the last chapter. He's so oblivious, that he's understandably shocked later on when he learns that Viktor has been in love with him for five years.
- All the Wasted Time: Diego de la Vega is very surprised when Esperanza Montoya reveals that she loves him instead of their mutual friend, Ricardo due to him being interested in Anna-Maria Verdugo. Fortunately for both of them, it all works out