- The Skeksis are pretty frightening. They are cruel and sadistic reptilian humanoids with vulture heads whose bodies are rotting as they age. They very much embody Evil Makes You Ugly.
- The first Emperor is seconds away from dying, and the Chamberlain tries to grab his scepter. The Emperor suddenly, and aggressively, wakes up and uses the last of his forces to hold onto the scepter, then passes away and crumbles like a dry and rotten piece of wood.
- The Garthim Master/second Emperor might be hammy, but he makes for one ruthless and scary Big Bad.
- The Chamberlain's Faux Affably Evil demeanor is pretty unsettling, especially when he meets Jen and Kira.
- The Scientist, who performed experiments on himself, building himself an artificial blood circulation that protudes outside of his body.
- The Garthim, essentially a monstrous mix between beetles and horseshoe crabs with claws. They not only move in a profoundly unsettling way but also have a Psycho-esque scare chord when they attack. Jen, Kira and the Podlings are completely powerless against them and running away from them is the only option.
- The scene in which the Skeksis Scientist drain the Podlings of their essence, what's even worse is you get to watch the poor Podling's Rapid Aging and zombification during the ordeal.
- Not only that. That twisted magic of the Dark Crystal used to work much better with Gelfling essence, as shown when the second Emperor's reversed aging doesn't last more than a few seconds with Podling essence. The Skeksis probably did this to hundreds of Gelflings when they didn't have them outright killed.
- The landstriders fight the Garthim outside the Castle to distract them from Kira and Jen's effort to rescue the Podlings captured from her village; the landstriders are able to hold their own against the Garthim at just two to six, with powerful kicks that topple the Garthim, but their high squeals as they fight become even more upsetting when the Garthim gain the upper hand, with a Garthim dragging one over the ledge into the empty (and deep) moat and the other Garthim toppling the other and closing in on it. Even worse, according to canon: "when a landstrider fell in battle, its flesh was prized by the Skeksis, who considered it a great delicacy". Ultimately, the effort to rescue the captured Podlings is for nothing and the Garthim close in on Jen, Kira, and Fizzgig.
- Fizzgig's Jump Scare is pretty damned effective.
Nightmare Fuel / The Dark Crystal