Unmarked spoilers ahead! If you don't want to have all the scary moments spoiled, you shouldn't be reading this page.
This story might have a slightly mixed reception, but there's still a bit horror lying within...
- Every single "I AM GOD" image. It has been changing from version to version, and every time it brings something new.
- Every time a character dies, you get to see his demonic form standing on the select screen, staring at you with expression of what can be described as agony.
- Tails' fur is dark gray;
- Knuckles' fur is dark crimson;
- But Robotnik gets it the worst: he is literally drained of skin color (keep in mind that he is a human). His moustache hanging rather than sprouting in two sides does not help. At all.
- X's Nightmare Face at the end of Sonic's level in Version 5 is arguably creepier than the "I AM GOD" picture; this face makes Sonic look like some kind of a wolf/werehog/canine with a Slasher Smile.
- If the U.S. version of Sonic CD's Game Over music gave you nightmares, expect night terrors after hearing the Sonic.exe version of it accompanied with Sonic's gruesomely mutilated victims. The Game Over screen (now pictured above) shows Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik's severed heads on wooden stakes with their eyes ripped out. Special mention goes to Knuckles' body for being hung by his entrails. From the sky, no less. Also, Robotnik's head is staring right at you.
- Since Version 666, the Game Over screen is replaced with another nightmarish image, which features Sonic.exe looming over Tails, who has a terrified expression on his face.
- Sonic's level in Version 5. You have to run through a static, empty void that turns into the seizure-inducing Giygas background with the persistent screaming of somebody being tortured throughout. And then the aforementioned X's Nightmare Face pops up.
- In An Ordinary Sonic 1 ROM Hack, when Sonic is warped into EXE's world, the only way out is to break item monitors. If you happen to reach the end of a level while in dark world mode, instead of the goal, you'll find him just laying on the floor, smirking. Even if you walk into him, he does nothing but stare through the fourth wall until his chase mode starts. Better hope he doesn't get you into an unwinnable situation.
- Have you ever wondered what Sonic.exe would look like in real life? No? Then don't click this link.
- David Near's voiceover for Sonic.exe. He taunts you in one of the creepiest ways possible about how he'll catch you and make you suffer, and ends the video delivering his classic catchphrase followed by an unholy Evil Laugh.