This page is for Nightmare Fuel examples from the first film only, as well as any tie-in specials without their own page. Please put examples for specific films on their designated pages.
- Shrek's roar (pictured above). Especially when taken in context. Video here.
- The Gingerbread Man's torture (being dunked in a glass of milk) is played for laughs...but the implication there is that Lord Farquaad was going to eat him alive, piece by piece, until he talked. Hell, even the fact that he broke Gingy's legs off while Gingy was still alive and conscious is horrific. Imagine this happening to one of the more humanoid characters like Shrek—it'd be torture horror on the level of Saw.note
- Dragon's first appearance can be rather frightening, with her sheer ferociousness doubled with all the skeletal corpses scattered around her castle.
- Dragon herself is quite terrifying, especially when she has Donkey cornered after separating him from Shrek. The ominous red lighting seen as Dragon spreads her wings outward and reveals herself to be capable of standing in a bipedal position (while towering over an understandably fearful Donkey) helps to make it look like Donkey is at the mercy of one of the Devil's beasts...
- The scene of Fiona's curse being revealed; it plays out as a parody of Alone with the Psycho. Donkey goes into the mill where she's spending the night and notices it's all dark inside. He calls out for Fiona, only to see a large green figure stumbling. Donkey understandably starts screaming when he realizes he's trapped in a shadowy building with a monster...until Fiona reveals that she is the monster.
- On Fiona's side, she's getting ready for bed. Then one of her friends is calling out for her, in danger of seeing her true form. Fiona tries to hide, only to trip and fall. She sees Donkey looking at her in utter terror and trying to call Shrek. You can hear the fear in her voice as she gets him to calm down.
- Lord Farquaad's planned punishment for Shrek and Fiona was this, with Farquaad intending for Shrek to be tortured, namely drawn and quartered, and that he'd beg for death to save him, while Fiona would be given the same fate she had already endured at the beginning of the film.
- Farquaad's demise. Sure, he was a ruthless dictator, an egotistic maniac and a colossal dick, but being Swallowed Whole certainly isn't the best way to go, especially when it is heavily implied that he was digested to death. Just Desserts, sure, just don't think too much about what happened to him inside Dragon's belly...
- Some of the film's technical goofs, which include things like Fiona without a face. Just a pair of floating eyeballs and a mouth. These were considered so terrifying that it was supposedly the reason why they were left off of the film's Blu-ray release.
- Sadly, this means children aren't getting to see Extremely Fluffy Donkey goofs (every bit of his fuzz sticks straight out from his body to a length of about four feet). Talk about Nightmare Retardant!
- By far, the creepiest technical goof from a Shrek movie comes from Shrek 2. Many children were terrified by the Uncanny Valley of the hair test.