G1 My Little Pony is known for one thing- how utterly frightening the villains are. And Tirac and Katrina got the whole trend off quite horrifyingly.
Rescue at Midnight Castle
- Tirac threatens to behead Spike if Scorpan refuses to help him. The axe shown while this threat is made is also particularly vicious looking.
- Tirac's Rainbow of Darkness painfully transforms the ponies into dragon-demons.
- The first three ponies being transformed by Tirac can be seen at a kind of halfway stage midway through, still crying and whimpering in fear.
- Tirac's Rainbow of Darkness is normally contained in a pouch, where it throbs like a heart and shines with an eerie, creepy glow.
- The Rainbow of Light tears Tirac apart, almost destroys Midnight Castle (with the good guys still on it) and finally drags Tirac to the sky, where he is killed in a giant explosion.
Escape from Catrina
- Rep is pushed around, belittled, and even struck by Catrina.
- Witchweed turns Catrina, who used to be a much nicer person, into a huge demonic giant that shoots lightning out of her eyes.
- Catrina is completely addicted to her Witchweed potion, to the point that she tries to force the Ponies to make more of it.