Plenty of it. Though you probably wouldn't expect anything less from a movie named Monster House.
- Just the house in general.. Not to mention the part near the end, when it turns two trees into its legs.
- The fact that all the planks cut irregularly when the house turns into a monster is especially scary since those planks are sharp and could tear clothes, or worse, leave bloody wounds, scratches, or splinters. Some scenes that deal with so many of those planks could have been sharp enough to deal fatal injuries.
- When the house is upset, it can make the creepiest◊ of◊ faces.◊
- Its One-Winged Angel form during the climax.
- As an added bonus, an early draft of the movie reveals that originally the interior of the house was supposed to be filled with actual human internal organs rather than wooden walls and floors.
- The part where the protagonists find the skeleton in the house's dark, grotesque basement.
- Whenever the house "eats" someone or something with its carpet-tongue.
- It ate a whole car, for crying out loud! Then it tries to eat the kids. Visually, this scene is particularly disturbing because the first scene where the house looks at its angriest and deformed. It wasn't just attacking on instinct, it felt merciless rage towards the kids for everything that they had planned to do to her with the vacuum cleaner dummy and their attempt to report it to the police.
- In another unsettling scene in the movie, DJ has a nightmare in which a shadow of a giant hand attacks him in his sleep. The entire room glows an eerie shade of red, and the music intensifies the tension.
- Some of the original concept art of the movie reveals that in DJ's original nightmare scene, he was supposed to be inside the house, where he would be walking down an eerie, empty hallway with pipes bursting through the walls.
- Another early draft of the movie, Zee, DJ's babysitter was originally supposed to be grabbed by one of the house's trees.
- This◊ unused concept art which depicts a deleted scene where Chowder is in Constance's room and her ghost appears to be charging at him while screaming from a mirror.
- The house calling DJ on his phone. All he hears is its breathing.
- Mr. Nebbercracker◊ was a little frightening◊ in the beginning of the movie.
- Mr. Nebbercracker, whenever he's yelling at people to get off his lawn and stay away from his house, even though he's only doing it for the sake of their own lives.
- Constance's death by concrete-drowning.
- The DVD menu for the movie. It certainly does not look like a menu for a typical children's film. It is night-time, none of the main characters from the movie are present, you hear nothing but a loop of the movie's creepy main theme song and all you see is the house staring at you with an angry face, breathing and growling.
- To make things even creepier, if you play the movie and return to the main menu after watching it, the house will randomly switch to its monstrous face and roar at you. Yes, there are jump scares in a DVD for a children's film.
- The house's doorbell. Easily the most frightening sound ever to be put in an animated film.
- The fact that Constance, on the day of her death, had taken an axe from her husband before she tried to go after the children egging her house. Yes, that is correct. Even though she was panicked and angry at them making fun of her because of her time in the circus, this does not negate the fact that she apparently planned on chasing down a group of children with intent to harm them with an axe.
The Video Game:
- Everything about the game. It was surprisingly dark for a game with only E+ 10 rating. At times it almost feels like a throwback to Resident Evil 1.
- Constance's mannequin. Its appearance in the GBA version of the game is arguably even worse, as you encounter it several times throughout the game, and it gets more deformed each time you come across it. The music during the boss battle doesn't help this.
- The music that plays during the final boss.
- The constant Paranoia Fuel you'll experience throughout the entire game. Literally anything in the house can attack you.