- The killer Siafu ants that eat people alive. Oh yes, and they're coordinated enough to form a tower to reach you if you're out of reach.
- Know what's scarier? There really are ants like this in South America, tropical Asia, and Africa that move in waves. This is NOT science fiction. (Fortunately, however, real Siafu and Driver Ants aren't as big or aggressive as the ones shown in the film, and don't go after humans.)
- That moment when the ants use their own bodies to build a tower and reach higher? Also real.
- When Dovchenko is dragged into the anthill, you can hear him yelling "Pomogi mne". It's Russian for "Help me!"
- Spalko's death from too much knowledge is pretty horrifying. Even more so in the adult novelization. As the alien beings leave this world, Spalko actually feels her skull painfully transform into quartz as the aliens flood her mental consciousness with all the knowledge in existence. It gets worse, and just before she dies Spalko gets a terrifying glimpse at the Eldritch Abominations.
- A 50s-esque suburban neighborhood populated by eerily smiling plastic dummies, complete with "Howdy Doody" playing on a TV set. The creepiness isn't reduced by the fact that it's a nuclear bomb test site.
- The moment when the warning siren flares up, and you know exactly what's to come.Indy: That can't be good.
- The actual bomb going off is just as nightmarish, as the bomb burns the plastic dummies before destroying the ENTIRE TOWN. It's so destructive that it ends up also killing the Russians who were trying to escape by car.
- The moment when the warning siren flares up, and you know exactly what's to come.
- Irina Spalko's plan for the Crystal Skull, i.e. using its power to brainwash large numbers of people into mindless followers of communism is downright terrifying, and the psychological nature of this attack is what makes it so bad.
- The Greys have always been creepy but to have one looking super pissed like the resurrected alien was at Spalko at the end? Terrifying.
Nightmare Fuel / Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull