Considering the nature of this show
, there's got to be moments that are pretty scary.
People who are not used to gore or violence usually consider the whole premise of this show to be scary, gory, disgusting or even an unpleasant combination of all of them. Think of it as Care Bears
meets The Itchy & Scratchy Show
Moment subpages are Spoilers Off. You Have Been Warned.
open/close all folders
- Fliqpy, Flippy's evil side. Flippy at one moment will be an innocent and nice guy but as soon as he hears something related to his pastime in the war, he'll rage into his evil self and kill almost everything onscreen. And unlike most characters, Fliqpy will kill his victims on purpose as opposed to by accident (like with Lumpy). Even worse is after Fliqpy turns back into his good self, Flippy doesn't remember his evil self's massacre. With the way Fliqpy kills his victims (read in the Episodes folder for information), his psychotic face and fangs, and his unsettling voice (especially his laugh and scream), there are good reasons for the characters in the show to fear him.
- In episodes where Sniffles fights against The Ants, he tries to eat them, but they end up torturing and killing him in the most painful way as possible. Heck, The Ants, in general, are terrifying due to their sadistic behavior as they seem to enjoy torturing the poor anteater. Granted, Sniffles is trying to eat them, but they take such measures far beyond self-defense.
- Over the course of the series, it has been played with Eye Scream multiple times.
- The Cursed Idol is a statuette that brings danger and terror on the Tree Friends and the deaths are right up with the two mentioned antagonists.
- Lumpy's antics tend to bring about many deaths either by stupidity at best or more sinister motives. "We're Scrooged!" and "Wingin' It" (the latter of which is explained further in the "Episodes" folder) are prime examples of this.
- Crazy Ant-ics: Sniffles tries for a snack, and sticks his tongue into an anthill. Big mistake. The Ants drive a stake through his tongue, use a cheese grater to scrape the skin off, pour lemon juice on the open wound, then pour gasoline all over his tongue and set it alight, causing the upper half of his body to explode very messily. Poor, poor Sniffles. It's just painful to contemplate, let alone watch.
- Nuttin' Wrong With Candy: The ending features Nutty trapped beneath a vending machine, which threatens Eye Scream with its metal coils. Cut to an outside shot of the collapsed vending machine with blood pooling under it.
- Treasure Those Idol Moments: In the first episode to star the Idol, we see it kill Toothy, Cub, and Flaky. The deaths are pretty simple and Cub's is off-screen, but Sniffles' death is unpleasant as he is sucked in the sandpit and drowns in it while muffling for help.
- Also in the ending we see the Idol appear in Lumpy's car, with Lumpy unaware of it. It slowly fades to black, and we hear a car crash.
- Happy Trails Pt. 2: Jumping the Shark: While the episode is not that gruesome in comparison to many others, it is one of the few that doesn't involve Fliqpy or the ants to feature outright murder. Specifically, after Lifty and Shifty offer to help the characters who are stranded at the island with their inflatable boat, Flaky accidentally punctures it, and the two are eaten by sharks. After the survivors come back to the island, Flippy, Sniffles, Handy and Lumpy stare at Flaky with pure hatred before killing her off-screen. An important aspect of this scene is that Flippy isn't flipped out, making this kill one of the few examples in the series where it's done by him intentionally. He wasn't under the control of his alter-ego this time, he made a conscious decision to do it!
- It's made worse with the HTF Wiki's claim that it was rumored her death was supposed to be shown, but was cut because it was considered too gruesome (Kenn Navarro, however, confirmed that her death was always intended to be a mystery) and that Pop was going to be in the episode instead of Flippy (hence the unusually deep voice for him).
- The beginning of the episode has Giggles searching for food when she is soon shocked by an Electric Jellyfish. It seems to be nothing worse than a bruise until the next shot where we see her pulsating swollen leg pumping like a heart. In the next shot, we see Flippy pounding on her grave.
- The ending of the episode has Sniffles, Flippy, and Handy (Lumpy was there but he was thrown out when they couldn't escape) escaping the island with their rocket ship. Then they speed off so fast they end up flying into the Sun and we see all of the aforementioned characters screaming and burning inside the ship and Sniffles' head exploding. There is Nightmare Retardant though with the cut to Lumpy casually relaxing on the beach.
- Eye Candy: This episode is the epitome of what this series is truly capable of. Toothy is running across the forest while carrying a lollipop, but he soon trips on a log and the lollipop gets stuck in his eye socket. He tries to pull it out, but his eyeball flies off and onto a tree branch. Toothy's optic nerve gets tied around the tree branch, making it impossible for him to pull it free, so he decides to climb the tree to untie the nerve. However, before he can do something, a woodpecker comes into the scene and starts pecking Toothy's eye, making him scream in pain and fall from the tree, which is revealed to be on the edge of a cliff. We then see Toothy's eye sockets and brain get removed from his skull. In addition to featuring one of the show's nastiest and most cringe-worthy deaths, it introduces a recurring theme of having characters see the world through their "messed-up" vision when something happens to their eyes. A Sight For Sore Eyes and Without a Hitch being other examples.
- You wanna know the worst part of Toothy's death by hospital fan in Mime and Mime Again? He goes in feet first. Think about that for a bit.
- Sweet Ride: Following a hilariously over-the-top sequence that has already resulted in Nutty's death at the hands of a beehive (which was a pretty gruesome death by itself but the next scene is even worse), Cuddles gets the top of his head sliced off by a set of stairs. This would be a comical death, if not for the fact that his upper jaw makes a horrendous noise as it slides down the pavement to a stop.
- Flippin' Burgers: After Flippy's Berserk Button is pushed (by Cuddles squirting ketchup on Giggles, which reminds him of the blood shed on the war), Fliqpy kills Cuddles and Giggles. When he goes to attack Petunia, she is seen cooking burgers in a grill, so Fliqpy slams her face onto it. He then pulls Petunia's head off the grill, revealing her now melted face, which has its nerves exposed and one of its eyes stuck to the grill. It's a fryer's worst nightmare come true. Her screams are particularly agonizing to hear, and you can hear her saying oh my god if you listen closely enough. Afterward, the restaurant explodes, killing Pop and Cub.
- Eyes Cold Lemonade: The episode starts off okay at first with Giggles and Petunia making lemonade. Then Giggles' face is sliced off by the sign, and her screams are very blood-curdling, not to mention her injury. She is soon bandaged and tries cutting a lemon but the sign falls down again and kills Petunia in a pretty graphic way. Then her eyeball falls out but Giggles mistakes it for a lemon and then uses said eyeball as a lemon, showing the gory details of said eyeball throughout. Not helping the fact that Giggles actually tastes the blood from the eyeball.
- Out On A Limb: Anyone who's seen 127 Hours will know what to expect here. The episode involves Lumpy chopping down a tree but is soon hit by one, getting one of his legs stuck. He attempts to cut said leg with an ax but it breaks so Lumpy chooses a spoon and beings to chop his leg off with it while screaming in agony. The worst part would be when he has to break his bare bone with the spoon. And then we find out that he accidentally chopped off the wrong leg and we're treated to a shot of Lumpy now using a paperclip to chop off the other one.
- Describing all of Fliqpy's most gruesome kills would create walls of text, but here are some noteworthy examples:
- Party Animal: Flippy's friends throw him a surprise party. Everyone is happy, the cake is getting cut, but then Flippy's Berserk Button is triggered when Flaky's peanut allergy (more on that later) causes her to swell up and pop the balloons, reminding him of gunfire on the war. Fliqpy then uses the cake knife to cut out a slice from Toothy's head and puts it on Cuddles' plate. What's left of Toothy's head is as graphic as you'd expect. This episode also has a certain build-up most other Flippy episodes lack. Flippy being absent for the first half of the episode, Fliqpy appearing in the reflection on the cake knife while laughing evilly, slowly advancing on Toothy with that raspy breathing and Slasher Smile, and Toothy shaking in fear right before he's killed.
- In Remains To Be Seen he flips out after hearing a gunshot-like noise and runs over some of the Tree Friends, killing himself and them and coating them with radioactive waste. Not so bad itself, but it gets worse when Fliqpy gets out of his grave as a zombie while still flipped out and bites Lumpy's arm off. That's still not the worst of it. He has nothing below his waist, so he finds zombie Handy, rips him in two and puts on his lower half like a pair of trousers/pants, then uses the intestines as overalls.
- Operation Tiger Bomb from Ka-Pow! explains why Fliqpy is so messed up. Flippy was in a commando unit and screwed up the mission, causing the death of his comrades. The horror comes when Flippy is pursued by the enemies and has to hide inside Sneaky's bloody, worm filled corpse. And then he burst out of that corpse and starts bashing the enemies with psychotic rage, complete with a psychotic smile. After Fliqpy kills the Tiger General, he shows off his face in a pizza box to the other tiger soldiers while laughing hysterically about it.
- Without a Hitch: While the show tends to have no continuity, this episode has Flaky know about Flippy's Berserk Button. Throughout the episode, she fears he'll flip out and kill her. Not to mention, three of her deaths. It shows us what paranoia can do to people.
- Can't Stop Coffin: Like many episodes, it starts off cute and innocent with Cuddles and his friends playing baseball. Then the ball goes over the fence and Cuddles tries to retrieve it. He then falls into a grave and is soon trapped in a coffin (hence the name) while Lumpy unknowingly buries him alive. Cuddles tries lighting up a match and when he finally does it, it's revealed that he has scratched all the flesh off his fingers (thus leaving their bones exposed) when trying to escape the coffin.
- A Bit of a Pickle: This episode is pretty disturbing when you think about it. Basically, Lammy sees her friend, Mr. Pickels (who is maybe just an inanimate pickle) murdering various characters (she's actually the one doing the killing, or he's actually killing them and playing a Wounded Gazelle Gambit to frame Lammy). The former sounds like schizophrenia. Although Flippy already has schizophrenia in all likelihood, this is creepier because she isn't doing it intentionally, and thinks she's stopping a figment of her imagination from killing innocent people. Never thought you'd see something like that on Happy Tree Friends, did you?
- It's worth noting that the "moral" for this episode is far more cryptic than usual, without the usual humor. "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
- To give an idea of how disturbing it is, this episode is pretty similar to the twist of the Demon Exposing Chapter.
- Wishy Washy: When Lumpy was trying to find out what's clogging up Petunia's water pipes, a jet of water pushes him against the heat tank, and he finds out that his drill has pierced the tank. Lumpy takes it off, causing hot steam to be sprayed on him, he falls over, and the tank tips over, crushing and burning Lumpy to death (while he lets out a very blood-curdling scream, even). Petunia, who is showering, notices that there's no more water. She goes into her basement to find out what's wrong and flips on the light switch. She notices that she is standing in filthy water, and Lumpy's corpse bobs towards her. Then, we get a closeup of his corpse and see that his face is covered in blisters, his nose is missing most of its skin, there are geysers of snot coming out of it, and he has creepy green eyes. And it's drawn in a more detailed style than usual. And while the art style Tastes Like Diabetes normally, this is◊ THE ugliest and most nightmarish image ever made in the show's history and among the creepiest Gross-Up Close-Ups ever known. It used to be the page image for a reason.
- Similarly to Toothy's death in Party Animal mentioned above, there's a certain build-up to the reveal of Lumpy's body that other episodes lack. One of the things we see is a bird's eye view shot of her looking down into the basement. The suspense rises as Petunia walks further and further into her basement and the room gets darker and darker until she turns the light on and finally comes across Lumpy's body.
- Shortly after, Petunia, shocked and startled by Lumpy's corpse, slips in the filthy water and tries to use the shower or the bathroom sink to clean herself, both to no avail. She uses some steel wool to scrub herself, but she rubs so hard that it causes her skin to bleed. Petunia then completely and utterly loses her mind. Her eyes become bloodshot, and she begins furiously ripping her own skin and flesh off with a potato peeler, all while laughing psychotically. At the end, right before she finally dies, her arms are torn to shreds, leaving nothing but the bones.
- Easy Comb, Easy Go: Disco Bear shaving his eyeballs is cringe-worthy and his screaming, the blood pooling from his eyes and the horribly close shot doesn't help. And it's arguably still better than the preceding scene that shows him plucking out a strand of hair growing from his cornea.
- Tongue in Cheek: This episode has the Ants using Sniffles' mind-control helmet against him by grievously torturing him through making him eat an apple with razor blades in it, stick his tongue in a paper shredder, nail his tail to the ground and disembowel him by causing his organs to fly out of his mouth. And to make things worse, they turn his corpse into a house. It's debatably easier to sit through than a prior sequence of them prying open his fingernails and putting salt in them.
- Sea What I Found: This episode features two particularly nasty deaths for Lifty and Shifty:
- One is where Shifty is covered in molten gold while realistically screaming as the submarine catches heat from the underwater volcano.
- Another is Lifty wanting to make a quick buck off of his golden corpse (seems cruel but considering Shifty was leaving him to die, it's almost justified). Lifty then swallows the water and begins to drown. You can even hear him make realistic drowning sounds, as well.
- Concrete Solution: Lumpy goes through quite the wringer in this one. His demise starts when he is hit by a flying Nutty off a bridge and lands really badly. He struggles to get up until he gets run over by Lifty and Shifty. Later still, he tries to get up again, until the middle part of his body is squished by the giant slab of concrete he hid Handy in, which causes gushers of blood to spew out of his nose and mouth. Then the slab falls on the rest of him, finally finishing him off. Oh, and his wallet gets stolen.
- Random Acts of Silence: Throughout the series, Eye Scream has been all over the place. We've watched Handy get his eye stuck in a bottle, Toothy get stung in the eye by a bee (multiple times), and Flippy get stabbed in the eye with a shard of glass. But the worst one of all is Fliqpy giving Mime a papercut to the eye in this episode. The squeaking sound doesn't help one bit.
- Cub's deaths are full of parental worries. Examples include:
- Water Way To Go: This example involves Pop burying Cub up to his head in the sand. When Pop hears ice cream, he leaves Cub unattended. When he comes back, he thinks his son has been swept from the ocean. Pop's terrified, frantic calling for his son is equal measures horrifying and heartbreaking. It doesn't help that he is unknowingly killing his son while trying to rescue him.
- Snip Snip Hooray!: This episode has one of the worst on-screen deaths in general. The death itself (swallowing an electric razor as it's running) is over fairly quick, but between the heavy amounts of blood, the Tongue Trauma, and Cub's screaming, it more than makes up for it.
- Bloody christ, does Lumpy have such an agonizing death in Letter Late Than Never. After climbing up a bunch of hills, Lumpy gets to the house and finds the evil turtle from earlier, which scares him and causes him to accidentally jump off the cliff and severely injure his body. Thankfully, he survived it. Although this can't be said for what happens to him next as the same turtle somehow finds him and slowly eats him alive, while Lumpy tries to pepperspray him, but accidentally peppersprays himself with his own antlers and then gets consumed by the turtle.
- Giggles' death. Basically, when Lumpy hands her his sweater, she realizes it's too big for her. After Lumpy drives off, he carelessly splashes Giggles with with muddy water and she's sad about it. However, when the sun comes out, the waters ends up drying and causes the water to shrink to a perfect fit, much to Giggles' joy. Unfortunately, the sweater continues to shrink. Giggles tries to pull it off but it shrinks so much that she can't move her arms. The blood flow to her head eventually stops, causing her head to turn purple, her ears puff up and her body eventually gets to the point where her head just forces itself off. Her detached head then deflates like a balloon and lands into her mailbox with blood seeping out seconds later.
- Camp Pokeneyeout: At one point in the episode, Nutty is roasting marshmallows to make s'mores but then is hit by a rock from a slingshot causing Nutty to burn his eyeball. At the end of the episode, we see Nutty uses his own eyeballs as marshmallow replacements for his s'mores. We are then treated to a shot of his eyeless face. We can't deny that Nutty will do anything to satisfy his Sweet Tooth.
- Something Fishy: In this episode, we are introduced to Russell's pet piranha. At one point, it jumps into Giggles' cup and she drinks said cup. Having to go to the restroom, we see her run into a stall. Then the piranha eats Giggles alive and Petunia hears her screaming and notices blood leaking under the stall. As she's looking around in horror, the piranha proceeds to eat her alive too.
- Dream Job: Sniffles creates an invention that lets him live on a TV channel while dreaming. Lumpy is unaware of this and decides to flip through the channels forcing him to go through numerous in-dream deaths until Lumpy overpowers the TV and renders him catatonic.
- The deaths themselves include...
- At the end of the episode, we Petunia trying to calm Sniffles down with the same TV channel we saw at the beginning of the episode. He looks around in fear before the episode ends.
- The Way You Make Me Wheel: This has Lumpy accidentally slitting his jugular vein while driving and trying to avoid hitting the ducks crossing the road. Lumpy throughout the episode is constantly bleeding from his neck with him holding onto his neck to survive, and we're even shown that he's gone pale before his death, with his gravelly voice not helping any matters. He later dies in his car with it being flooded with his own blood.
- Handy's death in the episode is also worth a mention. When Lumpy puts his foot on the pedal, he accidentally gets Handy's tail between the two car's tires. Handy's organs go out of his mouth, his eyes eject from his sockets, and is soon crushed by Lumpy's tire.
- ''Take A Hike':' This episode will probably make you want to stay inside for the rest of your life. Special mention goes to the ending, where Lumpy is mauled to death by a bear onscreen.
- Don't Yank My Chain: Handy's scream (and the face he makes) just before he dies might qualify as the most blood-curdling yell in the series.
- Party Animal: Flaky's allergic reaction to peanuts, complete with her abnormal swelling and large lips. Later on in that same episode, Flippy also has a similar allergic reaction to peanuts too.
- Double Whammy: This episode is easily one of the most brutal and visceral episodes to date just because of the deaths courtesy of Fliqpy. Especially horrific highlights include the murders of Giggles, Nutty, Mime and Disco Bear.
- Read 'Em and Weep: In this episode, Pop buys a possessed book for Cub (due to the much more appropriate book being more expensive) and reads it to him. Cub is visibly disturbed at the book but we don't really know what Pop is saying. Then it starts raining dead birds and we see a mortified Cub. Then a green glow is under his bed and Cub looks under, only to be charged by the demon. In the next scene, we see that the demon possessed Cub, giving him a disturbing appearance and having him spin his head around and puking on Pop.
- Petunia's death. Basically she has the skin from her lower torso ripped off. Just when you assume she is safe under the sink, she then gets pulled through the pipes and her body is turned into a mangled and unrecognizable mess before getting eaten by the demon.
- Home is Where the Hurt is: This episode contains a particularly nasty death for Giggles, who uncontrollably slides down a ridiculously long stair rail, hitting her face on several objects along the way. Then she reaches the lower parts of the stair rails completely covered with loose nails. What's worse, she's then last seen having been completely split in half, implying that she had ridden on the nail-covered rails for a long time before her body had finally cut in half from bottom-to-top.
- "Gems the Breaks": This is Splendid's only on-screen death and makes the most of it that it can. He has the skin on his face peel off, and vomits violently and uncontrollably after being weakened by Kryptonut. Not helped by the fact that the puke is also coming out his nose. Eventually he explodes from trying to hold in his vomit.
- Disco Bear's severed head after Russell cooks it in Put Your Back Into It.
- "Who's to Flame?": While the show is already dark enough to begin with, this episode is considered one of the darkest episodes in the series. It has one of the highest kill counts in the series (every single character seen in the episode except Mime die, which is 16 out of a cast of then 20) and features the sight of characters violently burning to death.
- Wingin' It will make you never want to fly on a plane again. Let's begin shall we?
- Even before our favorite friends are ejected from the plane, (which is caused by Lumpy bringing in so many items it disrupts the navigation.) we are treated to three brutal deaths. First is Cuddles getting sliced in half by Lumpy. Then we see poor Petunia getting ripped to shreds via the plane's sink and when Sniffles tries to stop Lumpy, he is killed via a cart. With no autopilot nor anyone left to drive the plane, Lumpy realizes the worst and steals all of the parachutes and leaves everyone to their fates. Cue everyone (barring Flaky, who is trying to steer the plane) flying out which then brings us to...
- The descent itself. Out of the five who fall, we see three of them die and they are not pretty. Giggles is able to hold onto one of the parachutes Lumpy lost. So she's safe right? Nope! She's run over by the plane. And then we cut to Mime. Good God Mime! He falls so fast that his face skin becomes a parachute. It's not easy to watch. What's worse is that is not what kills him for like Giggles before him, he seems safe... Until the plane (this time the wheel) runs him over. Lumpy meanwhile crashes and we see his bones sticking out of his arms. And then his devices which caused all of this crush him. Did he deserve it? Oh yes! Is it any less disturbing? Nope. And then we cut back to..
- Flaky. She lands the plane into some water but the slide pops due to her quills. Then a shark appears and tries to eat her.. Until he leaves and something much worse towers above Flaky. We never see the thing or what happens to Flaky but it's likely she was killed after everything she went through. And then it fades to black.
- Concrete Solution doesn't start out too bad... Until Lumpy accidentally kills Handy. The moose tries to free him only to then cover up his crime. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. After the road is finished, many friends try to drive over it while it's raining. But thanks to Lumpy using sugar instead of concrete to build it, the road begins to melt. The chaos begins as Sniffles (who was transporting Nutty in an ambulance, as the squirrel ate the concrete meant for the road thinking it was sugar) is killed as another car crashes into him. We see his brain and eyes nearly pop out as Nutty flies out of the car, hitting Lumpy. Nutty tries to hang on, but his lower half falls off. Lumpy meanwhile survives the fall... Until a part of the road that was concrete lands on him. Poor Nutty is then torn asunder and part of him crushes poor Cub.