- Some of The Jackal's tapes can be quite unnerving, though. Take a good listen...
- A few tapes in particular stand out way above the rest:Jackal: I spent a year in Black Beach once, in the dark. It's a hell-hole. Covered in raw sewage. Guards breaking some inmates' fingers with a hammer just out of pure fuckin' meanness. Men die of starvation there all the time. I saw a guy in the opposite cell catch a rat with his teeth, because they had him in handcuffs 24 hours a day for two months. He couldn't eat. Seeing someone do that... he was weeping while he crushed it to death in his mouth. Seeing his eyes, his face... it's madness. He was dead three days later.
Oluwagembi: What killed him?
Jackal: Realization of what he'd turned into.—The "Rat-Catcher" TapeJackal: Saw this kid on the side of the road yesterday, couldn't be eighteen, seventeen. Had a shotgun across his lap, and a dead APR half in the ditch next to him. Couple of close range blasts with that 12 gauge tore big chunks of hamburger out of his torso. Kid was looking at the guy's leg, taking his boots. Kid just looked tired, just beaten down, ragged, tired, old. Kids that age shouldnt look like that.—The "Stealing Boots" TapeJackal: Saw a firefight today. Little skirmish broke out of this road block when some APR guys got lost in their truck. Maybe five or six of them trading fire with the UFLL guys manning the CP, went on for twenty minutes, guys popping up from behind rocks to spray a few shots, ya know, randomly at each other, all of them almost too afraid to die. When it was over, the two UFLL guys who were unhurt ended up running off into the jungle, terrified. I went down and had a look around. The guy had been shot through the stomach, bloody mess. He saw me and went pleading me to help finish him off. Funny how guys get shot because they're too afraid to die, and then they're lying there dying, and they're too afraid to live. Idiots...—The "Gutshot" TapeJackal: You see these APR kids, or UFLL kids, or whoevers listening to these damn broadcasts on the radio. Mbantuwe, Tambossa. I cant even remember who, 'cause whats the difference? Glassy-eyed little shits shouting out in support of whatever propaganda, lies, bullshit's being spouted at them. Its absurd. These guys are already dead; theyve blown each other away for someone elses...for someone else. Tambossa, Mbantuwe, UFLL, APR: theres no "Popular Resistance", no "Liberty and Labour". Theres no ideology at all. There isnt even a desire to win. Theres no sense in it - no sense in it at all. What would it matter if we butchered the lot of them? Would it change anything?—The "No Sense" TapeJackal: If you have to kill someone - if you have to - is it somehow better to do it clean with a bullet through the head? Is it somehow worse to chop them up with an axe? And what if you have to kill ten, or a hundred, or a thousand? What if in doing it you save a thousand, or you spare ten? What if you save yourself? What is the measure of a man - or of his murder? By what insane calculus can we answer questions like these? Should we even try?—The "Numbers" Tape
- A few tapes in particular stand out way above the rest:
- Also, The Jackal himself may count as this, specially the first time you meet while you're lying in bed, suffering from malaria:The Jackal: "What your old clients don't seem to understand is that they can't kill me. Do you understand what I'm saying? Nobody kills me, NOBODY!" (Cue shoving a Machete near the player's head and then pulling a gun out) I'm the one who decides who lives and who dies!
- Speaking of malaria, suffering from the said disease as your screen starts flashing yellow (pictured above) and a deep, brooding noise playing in the background is pretty unsettling. Consider yourself lucky if you have any medication to treat the symptoms.
- The healing animations at critical health. Good lord... and all of it is in first person. A few that stands out include:
- Pulling a rebar out of your ribs.
- Removing a bullet wound on your arm with just your finger only to come out of the other side, with metal pliers or ripping it with your own teeth and then spitting it.
- Pulling a nail between your fingers.
- Cauterizing an open wound with a bunch of matchsticks.
- Bending your elbow to push a bullet out of your arm.
- Pulling a tooth out.
- Ripping a twig out of your thigh.
- Relocating disjointed fingers, an arm or a foot.
- You become this to your very own enemies, specially at Reputation 5. Ever since the day you landed in Africa, you've proven yourself to be an unstoppable killing machine, rampaging across the UAC under the orders of whoever pays the highest. By the end of the game, you've been at least a week in Africa and every single day, you've killed many, many soldiers, some who were simply too terrified to even fight you. You become recognized as The Devil himself and one of the rumors spread about you is that you eat your victims for fun. Hell, it can be assumed you become more infamous than The Jackal himself!
- By the end of the game, your Player Character starts showing signs of total psychopathy if you read the journal and pay attention to his actions. He's completely willing to betray two of his bosses just for the sake of pure fun, regardless of how much they paid him! And the fact that he slowly becomes guillible enough to listen to The Jackal and follow his philosophy may mean that, by the end of the game, your character just absolutely freaking snapped from all the fighting and the malaria.
Nightmare Fuel / Far Cry 2
Due to it's Darker and Edgier nature, Far Cry 2 manages to capture some very disturbing moments throughout the entire game.