Zain Javadd Malik (born 12 January 1993), known professionally as Zayn, is an English singer-songwriter.
Upon leaving the group, Zayn began working on solo material, and released his debut album Mind of Mine in early 2016. Launched by the single "Pillowtalk", which went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States, Zayn was the first member of One Direction to release solo material, followed by Harry Styles' debut album in 2017 and a handful of singles by Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, and Niall Horan.
In 2017, Zayn released a duet with Taylor Swift —titled "I Don't Wanna Live Forever"— which featured as the lead single of the Fifty Shades Darker soundtrack. That same year, he also began work on his sophomore album, and filmed a role in the upcoming film Ocean's 8.
From 2012 to 2015, Zayn dated Little Mix singer Perrie Edwards, and the two were engaged to be married for the majority of their relationship. He is currently attached to American supermodel Gigi Hadid, who co-starred with him in his "Pillowtalk" video. The two had a daughter, born in September 2020.
- Mind of Mine (2016)
- Icarus Falls (2018)
- Nobody is Listening (2021)
- The X Factor (2010) as himself
- iCarly (2012) as himself
- One Direction: This Is Us (2013) as himself
- Where We Are The Concert Film (2014) as himself
- Ocean's 8 (2018) as himself
Zayn provides examples of the following tropes:
- Ambiguously Brown: Is half-Pakistani on his father's side.
- Catchphrase: "Vas happening?"
- My Nayme Is: His birth name is spelled "Zain," but he modified it for his professional career.
- Only One Name: Professionally, he only goes by his first name.
- Oop North: He grew up in Bradford, and it shows with his accent.
- Precision F-Strike: The lyric "fucking in, fighting on" in "Pillowtalk" gave a shock to some One Direction fans, as well as separating Zayn's solo career from the fairly clean image the band had.
- Refrain from Assuming: "Pillowtalk" is not called "So We'll Piss Off the Neighbors", "Paradise" or "War Zone".
- Wham Line: See Precision F-Strike.