"We Found Love" is a 2011 single by Rihanna and Calvin Harris. Released as the first cut from her album Talk That Talk, its music video was directed by Rihanna's frequent collaborator, Melina Matsoukas. It's widely believed that the visuals were partially inspired by the singer's highly publicized relationship with Chris Brown.
The video has received high critical praise, earning comparisons to Danny Boyle's magnum opus Trainspotting for its depiction of Rihanna and English boxer Dudley O'Shaughnessy as a couple in a drug-fuelled Masochism Tango. It went on to win the 2012 Video Music Awards for Video of the Year, as well as garnering additional nominations for Best Female Video and Best Pop Video. In the decade since its release, it's garnered nearly a billion views on Youtube.
You can watch it here.
"We Found Love" contains examples of:
- Creator Cameo: Calvin Harris, who produced the song, is shown DJing during a party scene.
- Dizzy Cam: Used to show Rihanna and Dudley literally spinning out of control while high.
- Dramatic Thunder: Utilized after the Opening Narration.
- Love Is a Drug: The music video, directed by Melissa Matsoukas, depicts two lovers are in an unsustainable relationship based on passion and drugs, more like an addiction than a healthy interest.
- Masochism Tango: The relationship between Rihanna and her beau is passionate but stormy.
- Non-Nude Bathing: A few scenes have the couple sitting in a half-full bathtub with their clothes on.
- Opening Narration: One courtesy of English model Agyness Deyn, though many have assumed it's actually Rihanna herself, pulling off a fake British accent.
- Reflective Eyes: At one point in the video, Dudley's eye shows a reflection of Rihanna screaming.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Rihanna ultimately leaves Dudley, at the end of the video.
- Shout-Out: The look (and themes) of the video seems to borrow heavily from Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream and Skins.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Dudley O'Shaughnessy, Rihanna's love interest in the video, is an obvious stand-in for Chris Brown.
- Title-Only Chorus: "We found love in a hopeless place" in the song's hook.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: An odd example; at one point in the video, Rihanna vomits ribbons.
- Your Makeup Is Running: There's several closeup shots of Rihanna looking (artfully) disheveled with her makeup smudged.