A Red Dirt country band from Tahlequah, Oklahoma, active since 2005 (but on hiatus as of 2019). Known for their talented instrumental work and knack for storytelling.
- Bossier City
- Diamonds and Gasoline
- Goodbye Normal Street
- Turnpike Troubadours
- A Long Way From Your Heart
The Turnpike Tropadours:
- Black Sheep: "The Funeral" is this trope in distilled form.
- Civil Rights Movement: "1968" makes several references to it, including the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Heel Realization: "7 & 7."Well I had no clue
I'd be the boy who
Your mama warned you about
- Hurricane of Aphorisms: "Down Here," although it changes around the wording of several sayings in order to make them rhyme.
- In Medias Res: "The Bird Hunters" starts with a very impressionistic verse about hunting quail in the backwoods, before transitioning to what's really on the narrator's mind.
- Job Song: "Long Hot Summer Day," about running barges on the Illinois River.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: "Every Girl" borders on this trope.
- Old Dog: Jim, in "The Bird Hunters."Dan says "Look at old Jim! A dozen Decembers
"Behind him, no worse for the wear
"And your time spent in Tulsa did not help your shooting
"And look at the grey in your hair"
- The One That Got Away: Several times, notably in "7 & 7."That old scene is always coming to me
I see you standing with your husband and your child
And you're a picture of strength and grace and beauty
And me I'm just a fool in a supermarket aisle
Well I know "hello" would surely end up awkward
I never had a knack for talking anyway
You're not the kind for bending over backwards
So I smiled and turned my shopping cart around and walked away
- Spiritual Successor: "Every Girl," to "She's Every Woman" by Garth Brooks.
- Stranger in a Familiar Land: "The Bird Hunters."
- Title Drop: "The Housefire" has one for the album ''A Long Way from Your Heart."We snuck away two nights ago, rode around the logging roads
We'd been stuck in a motor home about to fall apart
We finally made a go, got dealt a heavy blow
She said, I bet you make it, it's a long way from your heart
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Dan and the narrator in "The Bird Hunters." "Every Girl" also shows up on the quotes page.