Only the strong can give
Only we can stay alive
Only the strong shall survive!
Thor is a Canadian Heavy Metal band formed in 1977. For its entire run, the band has been lead by frontman Jon Mikl Thor and could easily be considered as just him with a backing band. As the name suggests, their music draws heavily from Norse mythology (and helped develop what would come to be known as Power Metal) and their live shows also include Jon Mikl Thor doing various tricks such as bending a steel bar with his teeth and blowing up a hot water bottle until it bursts.
Though they've never really seen any major success, they've managed to gain a cult following and have inspired several other bands, most notably Manowar.
Jon Mikl has also had careers in body building and acting, having starred in, wrote and produced the horror movie Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare. He also released an auto-biographical documentary entitled I Am Thor in 2015
"Only the strong shall trope!"
- Epic Rocking: "The Guardian's Flame" runs at a massive 24:41.
- Fanservice: Thor provided some for the ladies, while his wife Rusty Hamilton (who performed with the band as a backing vocalist) provided some for the men.
- Heavy Meta: "Metal Avenger".
- Heroic Fantasy: The whole idea behind the band is based around one.
- I Was Quite a Looker: He does look fairly good for his age now, but there's no denying that Thor isn't the hunk that he once was.
- I Am the Band: Nobody can name any member of the band besides Thor himself.
- Large Ham: Look at the page picture. That's all you need to know.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Jon Mikl Thor, no question.
- Metal Scream: Jon Mikl tries one in "Anger" but...well...
- Mr. Fanservice: Jon Mikl Thor was this trope in his younger days. Less so now◊, though.
- Power Metal: One of the earliest examples of an actual power metal band.
- Rated M for Manly: Viking imagery, bending steel with one's teeth, holding cinder blocks while they're smashed with a sledgehammer? Yep, these guys were pretty manly.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Jon Mikl Thor seemed to be allergic to any kind of upper bodywear in his younger days. He's taken to performing with a chestplate now, though, due to not being anywhere near the shape he was.