The xx are an indie pop/dream pop band from London formed in 2005, noted for their minimal sound and intimate lyrics. They are composed of three members: Romy Madley Croft (vocals, guitar), Oliver Sim (vocals, bass), and Jamie "xx" Smith (percussion, keyboards, electronics, production)note . They hit it big in the indie world when they released their first Self-Titled Album xx in 2009, to widespread critical acclaim. Three years later, they released a second album called Coexist. They are perhaps best known for their songs "Intro", "Islands", and "Crystallized".
- xx (2009)
- Coexist (2012)
- I See You (2017)
The xx provides examples of:
- Break-Up Song: "Sunset"When I see you againAnd I'm greeted as a friendIt is understoodThat we did all we could
- Dream Pop: One of the few modern bands to have this as their main influence.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: "Intro" is this for xx.
- Double X
- New Sound Album: I See You branches out considerably from the minimal style of their first two albums, incorporating the dance/house influences prominent in Jamie xx's solo work.
- Silly Love Song: "Angels"And everydayI am learning about youThe things that no one else seesAnd the end comes too soonLike dreaming of angelsBeingAs in love with you as I am
- Perishing Alt-Rock Voice
- Soprano and Gravel: Downplayed as Romy is more of an alto, but it's still a sharp contrast to Oliver's deep gravelly baritone.
- The Smurfette Principle: After Baria Qureshi's departure, Romy became the sole female member of the group.