The xx are an indie pop/dream pop band from London formed in 2005, noted for their minimal sound and intimate lyrics. They are composed of three members: Romy Madley Croft (vocals, guitar), Oliver Sim (vocals, bass), and Jamie "xx" Smith (percussion, keyboards, electronics, production). They hit it big in the indie world when they released their first Self-Titled Album xx in 2009, to widespread critical acclaim. Three years later, they released a second album called Coexist. They are perhaps best known for their songs "Intro", "Islands", and "Crystallized".
- xx (2009)
- Coexist (2012)
- I See You (2017)
The xx provides examples of:
- Break-Up Song: "Sunset"When I see you againAnd I'm greeted as a friendIt is understoodThat we did all we could
- Dream Pop: One of the few modern bands to have this as their main influence.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: "Intro" is this for xx.
- Double X
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Usually a 1, but some of their faster songs can be a low 2.
- Silly Love Song: "Angels"And everydayI am learning about youThe things that no one else seesAnd the end comes too soonLike dreaming of angelsBeingAs in love with you as I am
- Perishing Alt-Rock Voice
- Soprano and Gravel: Downplayed as Romy is more of an alto, but it's still a sharp contrast to Oliver's deep gravelly baritone.
- The Smurfette Principle: After Baria Quershi's departure, Romy became the sole female member of the group.