The Word Alive is a five (previously six)-piece Metalcore band that formed in 2008 in Phoenix, Arizona. They've gone through a bunch of line-up changes before some clearer finalizations, and have released their debut studio album in fall 2010.
- Tyler "Telle" Smith lead vocals (2008present)
- Zack Hansen − guitar, backing vocals (founding member)
- Tony Pizzuti − guitar, backing vocals (founding member)
- Daniel Shapiro - bass (2011-present)
- Luke Holland - drums (2012-present)
- Craig Mabbitt - lead vocals (2008; started the band but was kicked out due to scheduling issues with his main band, Escape the Fate)
- Tony Aguilera (2008-2010)
- Dusty Riach - synthesizer, keyboards, programming (founding member)
- Justin Salinas - drums (2010)
- Nick Urlacher - bass
- Empire EP (2009)
- Deceiver (2010)
- Life Cycles (2012)
- Real. (2014)
- Dark Matter (2016)
Tropes associated with The Word Alive:
- Album Title Drop: "The Wretched" does this for Deceiver.
- Break Up Song: "Battle Royale" and "The Wretched"
- Cannot Spit It Out: A small section in "Like Father, Like Son" mentions this.
- Mr. Fanservice: Telle. Oh yes, Telle...
- Guttural Growler: Telle can certainly pull these off with gusto.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Some songs come off as this ("Like Father, Like Son" and "Dream Catcher").
- Metal Scream: Natch.
- Non-Appearing Title
- Precision F-Strike: Many of the songs. Telle addressed this well in a blog entry.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Dream Catcher" and "You're All I See".
- Take That!: Very much averted on Deceiver wherever Craig Mabbitt was concerned.