Taylor Momsen spent two years seeking an appropriate producer, and finally picked Kato Khandwala because he was not your typical pop producer. Khandwala introduced Momsen to Ben Phillips, and the three of them began to write songs together. The band had a couple of line up changes before settling on a final band, when they toured with The Veronicas in 2009 for their Revenge Is Sweeter tour.
When they started releasing music, Taylor said that most of their music would be dark but they would also have light moments too. In an interview with MTV, Momsen reported the influences on the band to include The Beatles and Oasis, along with grunge band Nirvana. Taylor then said that her personal influences were Kurt Cobain and Joan Jett.
Eventually they released a promotional single "Make Me Wanna Die" which was featured on the movie soundtrack for Kick-Ass. Their album, Light Me Up came out in August of 2010 (February of 2011 in the US). They have been touring ever since with the Light Me Up and The Medicine tours. Later, they opened up for Evanescence during their self titled tour, released their Hit Like A Man EP, and toured with Marilyn Manson in 2012. In 2013, they toured in support of the future 2014 release of their album Going to Hell and opened for Fall Out Boy in Europe at the start of 2014.
- The Pretty Reckless (EP) (2010)
- Light Me Up (Album) (2010)
- Hit Me Like a Man (EP) (2012)
- Going to Hell (Album) (2014)
- Who You Selling For (Album) (2016)
- Death by Rock and Roll (Album) (2021)
- Light Me Up Tour (2010-2012)
- The Medicine Tour (2012)
- Going to Hell Tour (2013-2015)
- Who You Selling For Tour (2016-2017)
Current Band Members:
- Taylor Momsen – vocals, rhythm guitar (2009–present)
- Ben Phillips – lead guitar, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Mark Damon – bass (2010–present)
- Jamie Perkins – drums, percussion (2010–present)
You make me wonna trope:
- Alliterative Title: "My Medicine"note and "House on a Hill"note .
- Anti-Love Song: "Panic."
- Baby, spare yourself (But I'm in love with you)No, I won't take your help (But I will see it through)I am too far gone for you to bring me back so baby, spare yourself.
- Apocalypse Wow: The "Make Me Wanna Die" music video takes place in the middle of a meteor shower.
- Be Yourself: "Light Me Up"
- I've got it on my mind to change my waysI don't think I can be anything other then me
- Black Bra and Panties: Taylor is constantly wearing these in many of the music videos ("Make Me Wanna Die" most notably).
- Cover Version: So far, they have done "Wonderwall" by Oasis, and "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem and Rihanna, "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, and "Criminal" by Fiona Apple.
- Christianity is Catholic: "Goin' Down" and "Going to Hell" involve being in confession with a priest.
- Genre Throwback: The music tends to harken back to 90s Alternative Rock (with a little Blues for good measure), and you could almost picture their music sitting comfortably alongside Garbage and The Cranberries.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: Deconstructed in "Fucked Up World", which is a Protest Song about the exploitation of lesbian sexuality.
- Grief Song: Much of Death by Rock and Roll, especially "Harley Darling"; the album was written in response to producer Kato Khandwala's death in a motorcycle accident. It's also possibly about Chris Cornell, as TPR opened for Soundgarden in Detroit the night before his death.
- Ironic Name: The song "Heaven Knows" is really about people knowing that they belong in Hell.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Taylor's Gossip Girl co-star Connor Paolo appears in the "My Medicine" music video.
- Lady in Red: In the "25" music video, Ms. Fanservice Taylor wears a magnificent red dress.
- Lingerie Scene: Taylor is wearing one throughout the "Make Me Wanna Die" music video, though she eventually takes them off.
- Mood Whiplash: Take "Light Me Up", a positive friendship song with inspiring under tones and then follow it with "Just Tonight" a song about a relationship with a drug addict who just doesn't care about anything.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: Taylor in the "Heaven Knows" music video. In fact, she's not wearing anything beneath the coat.
- Not Afraid of Hell: "Going To Hell'' is about how the singer knows she's going to Hell and doesn't care because she has no interest in being a good Christian girl and intends to marry the Devil.
- Scenery Censor:
- Taylor immediately gets engulfed in flames by the time she is completely naked in the "Make Me Wanna Die" music video.
- The only thing (barely) covering Taylor's private parts during her Sexy Coat Flashing in the "Heaven Knows" music video is a black cross-like symbol with a devil's tail painted on her body.
- Shock Rock: Taylor Momsen has grown up in show business, and it's obvious — any chance she gets to provoke/titillate her audience, she will take it.
- "Just Tonight" video has a shout to Alice in Wonderland, Painting Roses Red!
- And "My Medicine" mentions there being "a tiger in the room and a baby in the closet".
- The music video of "Going to Hell" features a shot of a naked Taylor with a big snake slithering all over her body as she sings that she's a sinner and doesn't want God to bless her. This is a recreation of The Sin painting.
- Vocal Evolution: Taylor used to have a characterized roughness in her voice, but now she does full voiced singing.
- Wild Teen Party: Implied with the "My Medicine" music video. Taylor was 18 (turning 19 in a few months) when the video was released.