The Pharcyde is an Alternative Hip Hop group. The original four members of the group are Imani (Emandu Wilcox), Slimkid3 (Trevant Hardson), Bootie Brown (Romye Robinson) and Fatlip (Derrick Stewart). DJ Mark Luv was the group's first DJ, followed by producer J-Swift and then J Dilla. The group is best known for the hit singles "Drop", "Passin' Me By" and "Runnin'", as well as their first album, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.
- Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (1992)
- Labcabincalifornia (1995)
- Plain Rap (2000)
- Humboldt Beginnings (2004)
The Pharcyde provides examples of the following tropes:
- Murder Ballad:
- "On The DL" contains a verse about killing somebody.
- Fatlip spends his verse on "4 Better Or 4 Worse" crank calling a lady and then detailing exactly how he plans to murder her and mutilate the body. She reacts how you'd expect.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: The Pharcyde was a pioneer in fusing Jazz and Hip-Hop, along with A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and Jungle Brothers.
- Rewind Gag: The video for "Drop" runs entirely in reverse. Thus, we see the band members spring to their feet from a lying position, rolling up stairs, repelling a bucket full of water upwards, and near the end, instantly piecing together a mural painted on glass with a hammer before wiping the paint off with paintbrushes.
- Teacher/Student Romance: The first verse of "Passin' Me By" involves Bootie Brown singing about how he used to have a crush on one of his teachers and made a point to always attend her classes.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Should I pursue to do you, or just stroke my knot?" A knot would not be a unusual description of the anatomy of a canine, but unless the narrator is a Funny Animal, this lyric is strange.