A Scottish alternative rock band formed in 2005. Composed of Jon Fratelli, Barry Fratelli, and Mince Fratelli, the band members took their assumed names from the villains of the 80s movie The Goonies. They've released five albums: the best-known is their first, 2006's Costello Music, which they followed up with 2008's Here We Stand and, following a hiatus, 2013's We Need Medicine and 2015's Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied. Their fifth album, In Your Own Sweet Time, released on March 16, 2018.
Notably, almost all of the band's songs are about girls.
- Album Title Drop:
- In "Henrietta", from Costello Music:These are crazy times down at Costello Music.
- In "Laughing Gas", from In Your Own Sweet Time:In your own sweet time youll see your neuroses unwind...
- In "Henrietta", from Costello Music:
- Audience Participation Song: The start of "Chelsea Dagger" is ideal for crowds to sing, not just at Fratellis concerts but at quite a lot of football matches (it was even in the soundtrack of FIFA 09), etc.
- Excited Show Title!: "Look Out Sunshine!" and "Baby Don't You Lie To Me!". Subverted with We Need Medicine, which has an exclamation point on the cover art (which is an homage to the works of Pop artist Roy Lichtenstein), but not in any other official materials. They've also got a Confused Song Title, in "The Gutterati?".
- One-Woman Song: Songs named after women include: "Henrietta", "Chelsea Dagger", "Nina", "Stacie Ann", "Rosanna", "Mistress Mabel", "Jeannie Nitro", and "Lupe Brown".
- Stage Names: John Lawler, Barry Wallace, and Gordon McRory are Jon, Barry and Mince Fratelli.
- The Stoner: "Vince The Lovable Stoner", Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Uncommon Time: The scat-singing refrains from "Flathead" are in 7/4.