Sunflower is the sixteenth studio album by The Beach Boys. Released in 1970, it did relatively well in Europe, but performed disastrously in the US, peaking at #151 on the charts. It has since been Vindicated by History though, and rightfully so. Its generally considered to be one of their strongest albums, and a showcase of the growing songwriting talents of the individual Beach Boys without major involvement from Brian Wilson. It spawned the hits and fan favorites "Add Some Music to Your Day" and "Forever".
- "Slip On Through" (2:17)
- "This Whole World" (1:56)
- "Add Some Music to Your Day" (3:34)
- "Got to Know the Woman" (2:41)
- "Deirdre" (3:27)
- "It's About Time" (2:55)
- "Tears in the Morning" (4:07)
- "All I Wanna Do" (2:34)
- "Forever" (2:40)
- "Our Sweet Love" (2:38)
- "At My Window" (2:30)
- "Cool, Cool Water" (5:03)
- Al Jardine - lead vocals, guitar
- Bruce Johnston - lead vocals, bass, piano, celesta
- Mike Love - lead vocals, percussion
- Brian Wilson - lead vocals, piano, rocksichord, bass, organ
- Carl Wilson - lead vocals, guitar
- Dennis Wilson - lead vocals, drums, tambourine
Tropes in the Morning:
- Break-Up Song:
What could I sayThat you ran awayDon't you think it's time that you stayed right near me?
Well you know I lit a candleIt's in my heart now where it glowsDay and night feel my light it's gonna stand tillMy heart believes in what you chose
- "Tears in the Morning"
- Cover Version: "Cottonfields" is a cover of a Lead Belly song. Also, its a remake of "Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)" from their 20/20 album.
- Executive Meddling: Sunflower was the group's first album for Reprise, who were very meticulous about what they wanted. The group's first three attempts at a tracklisting were rejected by the label, who felt that there wasn't enough strong single material and not enough Brian Wilson compositions. There was a reason for this - the group was concurrently working on a final Capitol album to get out of their contract, and thus had saved a number of good songs for it. This record wasn't completed, so to create the fourth and final tracklisting, the best songs were moved onto Sunflower, replacing the ones the label disliked. The group had so much leftover material that they actually were going to release a follow up of outtakes called "Landlocked", though this evolved into "Surf's Up" instead with only a couple of tracks ("Take A Load Off Your Feet" and "Til I Die") kept - several others were reworked for future releases. This situation is also the reason why "Break Away"/"Celebrate The News" and the "Add Some Music To Your Day" B-side "Susie Cincinnati" were non-album, they were intended to be included on the cancelled Capitol and original Sunflower tracklistings at the time they were released on single.
- Face on the Cover: A group shot of the band with some children.
- Fiery Redhead: "Deirdre"Always had our love, DeirdreI love your red hair
- Gratuitous French: "At My Window"Le moineau est venuSe poser à ma fenêtre note
- Heavy Meta: "Add Some Music to Your Day"The sunday mornin' gospel goes good with the soulThere's blues, folk, and country, and rock like a rollin' stoneThe world could come together as oneIf everybody under the sunAdd some music to your day
- Heel Realization: "It's About Time"I used to be a famous artistProud as I could beStruggling to express myselfFor the whole world to seeI used to blow my mind sky highSearching for the lost elationLittle did I know the joy I was to findIn knowing I am only me
- Mundane Made Awesome: "Cool, Cool Water", which is literally about the delight of drinking water.When I'm just too hot to moveCool cool water is such a grooveIn a shady spot when I'm layin' downOnly thing movin' are the ants on the groundWhen I'm thirsty and I reach for a glassCool water tastes like such a gas
- New Sound Album: Particularly "Got to Know the Woman" and "It's About Time".
- Not to mention the country rock "Cottonfields" from the European version of the album.
- One-Woman Song: "Deirdre"
- One-Word Title: "Deirdre", "Forever"
- Pacifism: "It's About Time"It's about time we get togetherTo be out front and love one anotherBrothers sisters everybodyWe better start to help each other nowWe need it nowWhen we're sharin' our love brotherThat's when we know we can shape another world
- The Power of Rock: "Add Some Music to Your Day".
- Regional Bonus: The rerecorded single version of "Cottonfields" was added as the first track on the original UK and European versions. "Got To Know The Woman" and "Deirdre" were swapped too.
- Shout-Out: A sample of the opening a capella chord of "Deirdre" was later used for the Cave of the Past theme in Earthbound; this same sample would later be reused for the track "Amalgam" in Undertale, which incidentally released just three months after the 20th's anniversary of EarthBound's American release.
- Also, "Forever" was made famous to the general public through Full House. It would subsequently be remade by The Beach Boys on their 1993 album Summer in Paradise, sung by John Stamos.
- Vocal Tag Team: Every then-member of The Beach Boys got at least one lead vocal on this album.