Strong Bad Sings and Other Type Hits is an album of songs from the Homestar Runner universe released on November 17, 2003. It includes extended versions of songs from the various cartoons on the website, defictionalized versions of songs from the original Strong Bad Sings cartoon, and even some new material from Matt, Mike, and Missy, performed with the help of Y-O-U.
In 2019 the album was finally made available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon Music, and through streaming on Spotify, Apple Music, and other services.
- TROGDOR - 1:39
- The System is Down (1:46)
- Strong Badian National Anthem, featuring Ms. Partsmatter's 1st Grade Class (2:12)
- Oh Yeah Yeah - Marzipan (1:09)
- Because, It's Midnite - Limozeen (2:13)
- Circles - The Kinda Long-Haired Band (2:13)
- Let's Get Started On Doing All Those Awesome Things I Suggested (0:48)
- Moving Very Slowly - Taranchula (4:06)
- Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Theme Song (0:56)
- I think I Have a Chance With This Guy - What's Her Face (0:56)
- It's Like It Was Meant to Be (1:05)
- Nite Mamas - Limozeen (2:27)
- Sensitive To Bees - Marzipan feat. Strong Bad and Homestar Runner (1:54)
- You've Got an Ugly & Stupid Butt (0:32)
- These Peoples Try to Fade Me - Coach Z (2:11)
- The Ladies in My Town All Know My Name (0:34)
- The Theme from Dangeresque II: This Time, It's Not Dangeresque I (1:30)
- Somebody Told Me ( Now I Believe Them) (0:47)
- The Cheat is Not Dead (3:02)
- Everybody to the Limit (Live from West Rekjavik) (7:58)
Tropes present in Strong Bad Sings and Other Type Hits include:
- Affectionate Parody: Many of the songs parody the conventions of the genre they're in, whether it's hair metal ("Because It's Midnite", "Nite Mamas"), death metal ("Moving Very Slowly"), or blues-rock ("Circles").
- Anti-Climax: "Let's Get Started On Doing All Those Awesome Things I Suggested" sounds like it's building up to a Barry White-esque make-out jam, but ends on a Letting the Air Out of the Band moment right as Strong Bad sings "Let's get started..."
- Audience Participation Song: "Everybody To the Limit (Live)"Strong Bad: Somebody say "Trogdor"!
Strong Bad: Say "burninate!"
- Bait-and-Switch: At the start of the album's version of "Oh Yeah Yeah", Marzipan tells her back-up band "This is a folky song, so don't go too fast." Then she launches into a fast-paced, punk-rock version of the originally much slower-paced song.
- Continuity Cavalcade: Songs from all across the website's three-year (as of its release) history are featured on the album. The songs are also littered with various references to the cartoons.
- Do It Your Self Theme Tune: The last verse of the "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Theme Song" is done by the Wheelchair and Sherlock the Cowcopter.
- Expository Theme Tune: "Theme from Dangeresque II: This Time, It's Not Dangeresque I"He fights the law
But he also fights the crime
But not as much
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: On "Moving Very Slowly", it fades out during the "Burn! Burn! Burn!" section, only to fade back in for the finale.
- Gospel Choirs Are Just Better: Strong Bad is joined by a choir of back-up singers in the second half of "The Cheat Is Not Dead", and notes how great they sound after he realizes they've joined.
- Gratuitous Panning:
- In "The System is Down", the "dooj" sound is panned from one ear to the other.
- "I Think I Have A Chance With This Guy", for the "guy guy guy guy" line, has each word come from alternating sides.
- Hidden Track: Homestar's "Secret Song", which comes after a few minutes of silence in "Everybody to the Limit (Live)".
- Long Title: Several tracks have these, including "Let's Get Started On Doing All Those Awesome Things I Suggested"
- Metaphorgotten: From "Circles"She took me to different places
Like the university bookstore
And the financial aid office
- Miniscule Rocking: Only three of the twenty tracks on the album are more than three minutes long, and only eight of twenty are longer than two minutes.
- Piss-Take Rap: Coach Z's hip-hop single "These Peoples Try to Fade Me", which was something of a running gag on the site before it became official and fans got to hear just how bad it was.Where my lasers at?
All these people try to tell me where my lasers at
And your mother tried to show me all the laser crabs
And I got a bunch of types, a bunch of laser dabs
- Rhyming with Itself: Strong Bad calls out Marzipan for rhyming "cute" with "cute" twice in a row in "Sensitive To Bees".
- Spoken Word in Music: "Strong Badian National Anthem" is book-ended by Strong Bad trying to organize the kids who are supposed to be singing along, while "Sensitive to Bees" has smart-ass commentary from Strong Bad throughout the song.
- Stylistic Suck:
- The cover art looks like it was hastily sketched by Strong Bad himself with a ballpoint pen.
- Some of the tracks contain deliberate musical mistakes, such as the clumsy harmonica and guitar playing in "Circles" and Homestar's terrible piano playing in "Secret Song".
- The CD looks like a CD-R with the album's name written on it.
- Surreal Theme Tune: "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Theme Song"Did you ever watch this show?
Yes, this once, I didn't know
How do you think this show will go?
Take a shot, my friend!
- That Reminds Me of a Song: Used in the intro to "I Think I Have a Chance With This Guy":What's Her Face: That's awesome! I have to sing a song now!
- This Is a Song: Homestar's "Secret Song" is a love song to the secret song.Secret song, I can't believe it's you
I never knew it was true
Oh, secret song!