Sonic Syndicate are a Melodic Death Metal and Metalcore band from Falkenberg, Sweden. They formed in 2002 as Fallen Angels, a moniker that was eventually dropped three years later. The band started gaining significant momentum with their second release Only Inhuman and followed it up a year later with the similar-sounding Love and Other Disasters LP. After this the band fell on hard times: clean vocalist Roland left due to personal reasons and successor Nathan James Biggs was hired. With Nathan came more than merely a new vocalist, there was namely pressure from their record label to adopt a more commercial sound, the resulting album polarized the fans and eventually pushed Richard to quit the band.
- Nathan James Biggs - Clean/Harsh vocals, Lyrics (2009 - present)
- Robin Sjunnesson - Guitar (2002 - present), Harsh vocals (2011-present)
- Michel Barzen - Bass (2015 - present)
- Peter - Drums/Percussion (2016 - present)
- Christoffer Andersson - Harsh vocals (2010 - 2011)
- Richard Sjunnesson - Harsh vocals, Lyrics (2002 - 2010)
- Roland Johansson - Clean/Harsh Vocals (2006 - 2009); did some additional vocals on Eden Fire
- Kristoffer Bäcklund - Drums (2002 - 2006)
- John Bengtsson - Drums/Percussion (2006 - 2016)
- Andreas Mårtensson - Keyboard (2002 - 2006)
- Magnus Svensson - Bass (2002 - 2004)
- Karin Axelsson - Bass (2004 - 2015); provided female vocals on Eden Fire
- Roger Sjunnesson - Guitar/Keyboard/Programming (2002 - 2012)
- 2005 - Eden Fire - First release under the Sonic Syndicate name
- 2007 - Only Inhuman - First release with Roland as a full member of the band
- 2008 - Love and Other Disasters - Last release with Roland
- 2009 - Burn This City EP - First release with Nathan
- 2010 - We Rule the Night - Last release with Roger and Richard
- 2014 - Sonic Syndicate - Final recording with Karin and John
- 2016 - Confessions - First album with Michel and Peter
Tropes associated with Sonic Syndicate:
- New Sound Album: With the possible exception of Love and Other Disasters, every other album put out by the band has its own identity.
- Eden Fire was the group's only release that was purely melodeath and had cleans that were used sporadically. It is also so far the only effort to contain vocals provided by ex-bassist Karin Axelsson.
- Only Inhuman put a bigger emphasis on singing, as well as incorporated modern metalcore elements a la Killswitch Engage.
- We Rule the Night de-emphasized the harsh vocal techniques and sported a very commercialized sound that would cater to a wider audience, though the metal influence wasn't done away with entirely.
- Sonic Syndicate reintroduced the metalcore side of the act that had begun to take hold on Only Inhuman whilst bearing some light Groove Metal undertones.
- Confessions pulled another near-180 and rid the band almost entirely of their metal sound, instead opting for a more alternative pop-rock style.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The cover art for their debut album depicts a female vampire/angel hybrid, who is also a cyborg.
- Reverse Grip: Richard and Roland would occasionally do this with their microphones.
- Signature Style: The typical Sonic Syndicate track is a decent balance of Gothenburg-inspired melodeath sounds and pop-oriented metalcore. Verse-chorus structures are to be anticipated alongside abrasive and simultaneously energetic instrumentation. There also tends to be this dynamic where both clean and harsh vocals are utilized, not unlike any of the band's contemporaries.
- The Smurfette Principle: Longtime bassist Karin Axelsson (who quit the band in 2015 for personal reasons) filled this particular role.
- Soprano and Gravel: Ex-contributors Roland and Richard, respectively speaking. Meanwhile, Nathan is capable of handling both of these, especially on Sonic Syndicate.
- Start My Own: Former members Richard, Roger, and Roland alongside current Sonic Syndicate drummer John would eventually form a project together called The Unguided. From both a stylistic and thematic standpoint, this band has more in common with SS' earlier output than it does with the newer stuff.
- Vocal Tag Team: In the case of Only Inhuman and Love and Other Disasters, Richard Sjunnesson and Roland Johansson. Concerning only We Rule the Night, Nathan Biggs and Richard.