Some Girls is the fourteenth studio album (sixteenth American album) by The Rolling Stones, released in 1978. It is generally considered to be (alongside Tattoo You) the last classic Stones album, and marks the first full-length appearance of Ronnie Wood. Songs like "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden" became international hits.
The album is equally known for its cover, featuring the faces of the band members in cut-out heads along with the faces of famous Hollywood actresses. When Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Liza Minnelli (who didn't appear on the cover, but her late mother Judy Garland did), Raquel Welch, and the Marilyn Monroe estate threatened legal action the album was quickly reissued with a revised cover that had their faces replaced on the sleeve with a message reading: "Pardon our appearance. Cover under re-construction."
The album reached #1 in the US and #2 in the UK, and received a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year (the only Stones album to do so). It is listed at #270 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time.
- "Miss You" (4:48)
- "When the Whip Comes Down" (4:20)
- "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" (4:38)
- "Some Girls" (4:36)
- "Lies" (3:11)
- "Far Away Eyes" (4:24)
- "Respectable" (3:06)
- "Before They Make Me Run" (3:25)
- "Beast of Burden" (4:25)
- "Shattered" (3:48)
Tracklist (2011 Bonus Disc):
- "Claudine" (3:42)
- "So Young" (3:18)
- "Do You Think I Really Care?" (4:22)
- "When You're Gone" (3:51)
- "No Spare Parts" (4:30)
- "Don't Be a Stranger" (4:06)
- "We Had It All" (2:54)
- "Tallahassee Lassie" (2:37)
- "I Love You Too Much" (3:10)
- "Keep Up Blues" (4:20)
- "You Win Again" (3:00)
- "Petrol Blues" (1:35)
- Mick Jagger - lead vocals, guitar, piano, harmonica
- Keith Richards - guitar, backing and lead vocals, bass, piano
- Charlie Watts - drums
- Ronnie Wood - guitar, vocals, bass, bass drum
- Bill Wyman - bass, synthesizer, marimba
Tropes Of Burden:
- All Women Are Lustful:
You're a rag-trade girl, you're the queen of pornYou're the easiest lay on the White House lawn
Black girls just want to get fucked all night
- "Some Girls"
- Alliterative Title: "Beast Of Burden" and "When The Whip Comes Down".
- Artistic License History: "Respectable", which describes the band meeting the US President to talk about drugs, which never happened.Well, now we're respected in societyWe don't worry about the things that we used to beWe're talking heroin with the president
- As the Good Book Says...: "Lies"Lies, lies, you dirty Jezebel
- The Big Rotten Apple: "Shattered"Go ahead, bite the Big Apple. Don't mind the maggots.
- Break Up Song: "Miss You"I've been holding out so longI've been sleeping all aloneLord I miss youI've been hanging on the phoneI've been sleeping all aloneI want to kiss you
- British Stuffiness: "Some Girls"English girls they're so prissyI can't stand them on the telephoneSometimes I take the receiver off the hookI don't want them to ever call at all
- Broken Record and Department of Redundancy Department: "Beast Of Burden"Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty girlYou're a pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty girlPretty, pretty, such a pretty, pretty, pretty girl
- Corrupt Church: "Far Away Eyes"Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus, located somewhere in Los Angeles, California. And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio. And all my dreams would come true. So I did, the next week, I got a prayer with a girl
- Country Music: "Far Away Eyes" is performed in this style.
- Cover Version: "Just My Imagination" is a The Temptations cover.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The album cover, designed by Peter Corriston and Hubert Kretzschmar. It features the Stones in garish drag alongside several famous women, parodying lingerie advertisements.
- Face on the Cover: The band is shown on the album cover, though originally this wasn't the idea. The early concept showed photos of famous celebrity actresses and models, done without asking permission. Some sued and as a result the cover was quickly changed by having band members' faces in place of some of the women's faces.
- Inscrutable Oriental: "Some Girls"Chinese girls are so gentleThey're really such a teaseYou never know quite what they're cookin'Inside those silky sleeves
- Misogyny Song: "Some Girls"Some girls give me childrenI never asked them for
- Mistaken for Racist: "Some Girls" caused protest among some groups for the supposedly racist lines: "black girls just wanna get fucked all night" ad "Chinese girls are so gentle,they are such a tease". Jagger commented it was just meant as a parody, a fact Saturday Night Live comedian Garrett Morris commented on:Mr. Mick Jagger, where ARE these black girls? You got any phone numbers?!?
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting: "Some Girls"English girls they're so prissyI can't stand them on the telephoneSometimes I take the receiver off the hookI don't want them to ever call at all
- National Stereotypes: "Some Girls"French girls they want CartierItalian girls want carsAmerican girls want everything in the worldYou can possibly imagineEnglish girls they're so prissyI can't stand them on the telephoneSometimes I take the receiver off the hookI don't want them to ever call at allWhite girls they're pretty funnySometimes they drive me madBlack girls just wanna get fucked all nightI just don't have that much jamChinese girls are so gentleThey're really such a teaseYou never know quite what they're cookin'Inside those silky sleeves
- New Sound Album: Particularly the Disco song "Miss You" and the Punk Rock song "Respectable"
- Ode to Intoxication: "Before They Make Me Run", where Richards is unapologetic about being busted for drug possession:Gonna find my way to heaven, `cause I did my time in hellI wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real wellAfter all is said and doneI gotta move I had my funLet us walk before they make me run
- One-Man Song: "When The Whip Comes Down" is sang from the perspective of a homosexual man.Yeah, mama and papa told me I was crazy to stayI was gay in New York, I was a faggot in L.A.So I saved my money and took the planeWherever I go, they just treat me the same.
- One-Woman Song: "Claudine".
- One-Word Title:"Lies", "Shattered" and "Respectable".
- Packaged as Other Medium: The cover is designed to look like an advertisement.
- The Parody: In "Far Away Eyes" Jagger imitates the accent of someone from The Deep South:I was driving home early Sunday morning through BakersfieldListening to gospel music on the coloured radio stationAnd the preacher said, 'You know, you always have the Lord by your sideAnd I was so pleased to be informed of this, that I ran 20 red lights in His honourThank you Jesus, thank you Lord.
- The Power of Love: "Just My Imagination"Dear Lord, hear my pleaDon't ever let another take her love from me or I will surely die
- Product Placement: "Some Girls"French girls, they want "Cartier"
- Real Life Writes the Plot: "Before They Make Me Run" is written by Keith Richards and reflects his arrest for heroin possession in Toronto, Canada in 1977.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "Lies"Lies, dripping off your mouth like dirtLies, lies in every step you walkLies, whispered sweetly in my earLies, how do I get out of here?
- Shout-Out: The original cover layout shows the band members' faces cut-and-paste super-imposed over famous Hollywood actresses' faces. We can recognize Marilyn Monroe, Farrah Fawcett (star of Charlie's Angels), Judy Garland, Racquel Welch, Eartha Kitt (played Catwoman in Batman, Lucille Ball, Brigitte Bardot and Elizabeth Taylor. This backfired when Fawcett, Ball, Welch, the Monroe estate and Liza Minnelli on behalf of her late mother Judy Garland threatened legal action, forcing the album to be withdrawn and the cover altered.
- Something Blues: The bonus tracks "Keep Up Blues" and "Petrol Blues".
- Spicy Latinas: The "Puerto Rican girls who are just dying to meet you" in "Miss You."
- Spoken Word in Music: "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes" both feature a spoken word section.
- Step Up to the Microphone: Keith Richards sings lead on "Before They Make Me Run".
- He also sings lead on the bonus track "We Had It All".
- Title Track: "Some Girls".
- Yiddish as a Second Language: "Shattered" includes a Yiddish term for tattered or ragged garments in its lyrics.All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta — I can't give it away on 7th Avenue